Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous items on ebay, and they always go higher than what you can buy the stuff new for. What have you seen?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have seen numerous items on ebay, and they always go higher than what you can buy the stuff new for. What have you seen?
At a real auction (not ebay)... estate auction... guy had an old Mercury outboard (9hp iirc), VERY well maintained... still had the original box/crate that it came in. When he was done with it, it went back in the crate. This thing looked mint, except it was white... because it was so old that it was made prior to the switch to black paint!

Two guys got in a bidding war... at one point the auctioneer stopped, addressed the two guys, told them they were idiots and that they could buy a new outboard for that price, and then let them continue.

Seen oxy-acetylene gauges/hose/torch kits sell at estate auctions for more than new.

When dad and I used to hit auctions on a regular basis, we would often carry store catalogues with us to price-compare!

·
Registered
508 Posts
And that is why auction companies are called in to sell an estate, however sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but you get rid of your stuff.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've contemplated buying a 'beginner kit' and turning around and selling it on ebay, making $50 each in the process.

I've also seen people that buy a 'beginner kit' worth $150 and a package of bees worth about $75 on ebay, packaged together for around $400.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I buy occasionally on ebay, but never sell. By the time ebay gets done raping you with their listing fees and pro-rated commission fees(the more your item sells for, the more you pay ebay) and forcing you to use PayPal and pay the PayPal fees(since they now own PayPal) you lose a chunk of profit.

If you are thinking about selling bee equipment on ebay(or anything else) better put a pencil to what you will have to pay in commissions and fees.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My mom sold stuff on ebay and the fees really aren't that bad. She ran out of stuff but when she had stuff and paid for a lot of things. At the very most you might pay ebay 5 or 10 percent depending on how much your selling the item for. Certain things cost more. For example, having a picture of the item on the search page costs like 50 cents.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I used to sell hive kits on eBay. That is why I have 1300 feedbacks and 75% do not leave feedback. Most bidders do not know they can buy the same thing online from beekeeping suppliers and not wait to be outbid or for the auction to end and spend more than it is worth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thnk there is a few things going on.

I love ebay. I pay with paypal, and you get the insurance and all that with it. I like how the money goes out of paypal, then there is a few easy emails, then the package arrives a few days later - too easy!!!

Compare that with how painfull the beekeeping suppliers are to deal with online (in Australia anyway). I dont believe down here that the suppliers have totally embraced the electronic age. The 4 main websites (that I deal with / have dealt with) selling gear here is like this.

Company 1..Removed website as the there must have been some problem with the internet prices not being updated, so they pulled the website down - it hasnt resurfaced - this was months ago.
Company 2..Company has 'streamlined' their online ordering system. I got items into my shopping cart on 2 occaisions then waited for the delivery cost email - it didnt come - so I rang, they said they would fix it today - that was months ago.
Company 3..Promotes themselves as some kind of modern marvel with equipment building when in reality, the workshop needs to be dragged into 2010 from about 1965.
Company 4..Is great, but is too far away to shop with regularly.

Its a pity they dont chase the online customer base - they would unlock some selling potential, thats for sure. People will pay for the convenience of paypal one night, boxed up next day and delivered. The shops havent figured that out yet.

Maybe the shops dont need to figure it out because they sell to all their big orders like they always have.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Then don't forget shipping - some Ebay sellers charge out the wazoo for shipping. As Dad used to say - "When two fools and one auctioneer meet... look out!"

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ebay fee are crazy. My fees last month as over $400. I just wish people could find me direct. I'll give a 10% discount. I ebay mainly beeswax, just started bee equipment. I only wish I could sell my equipment for what some of those seller are.
35beeman

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I started beekeeping 4 - 5 years ago, I used to buy some items on EBay, there where some deals to be had.. Than, at a point about 2 - 3 years ago, you'd bid on a nice deal and wait for the auction to end, just to find out you've been beat out. All of the time wasted waiting on the auction to end. I flat give up on it. Also, alot of the items listed now start at about new prices after you figure shipping in... The extractors were always good to watch... They went for some very big bucks for just about any extractor...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
... I only wish I could sell my equipment for what some of those seller are.
35beeman
sometimes these sales are sham- the seller uses a different I.D. to run up prices so that tommorrow, a neewby looks at item X and thinks "one sold yesterday for $100, WOW $50 is a real bargain and snaps it up, not knowing the real value is less; or has inflated shipping to escape the fee structure for extra profit. good luck,mike

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have bought and sold on e bay and it is like any other auction. Some times you get a good deal and sometimes you don't. Know what the item sells for other places.Also I buy and sell on CRAIGS list.Don't know if anyone knows about CRAIGS list but last year I got several feral swarms from it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts