Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one brief mention of this in some of the archive posts, so I was wondering if anyone has tried beeking by the signs? I routinely garden by them and know they are used to manage farm animals as well. Plus all the chatter on here about requeening with a queen who has emerged after the summer solstice.

Other than a reference to Maria Thun, are there any other sources out there?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have been looking into this, as well. My Grandmama swore by "moon gardening" and had the amazing results to prove it.

There is very little about it regarding bees out there. Louise Riotte mentions beekeeping in one of her books, but no mention of signs to go with it.

At this time, I am tracking swarm activity and signs, but I am not ready to report anything.

I would think it would be like many other general things, increasing brood in a waxing moon, decreasing in a waning one. Dry signs more pollen gathering, wet ones more nectar gathering.

Please feel free to add your commentary! I would love to hear your POV!

Summer

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To sum up the archived thread, one person noted that he saw more queen/swarm cells the day after a full moon.

Another person referenced Maria Thun, and said that working the hive during Earth signs stimulated building, Air had a similar effect on brood, Fire on honey production, and basically stay out of the hive during Water signs.

I did find a current moon calendar that is set for Thun's methodology. The calendar itself is easy to follow, but the best times for veggies are definitely different than the Farmer's Almanac:

http://www.astrologie-info.com/mocal.cgi?language=eng&sidtrop=sid

I'm primarily interested in what's going on next month (June) because I want to make a split, have the mother hive raise its own queen, and for the virgin to emerge after summer solstice. So I'm trying to find the most optimal timing for the best success.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts