Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is interested in getting into beekeeping and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a good book surrounding beekeeping. Something of a beginners guide or if there is a good book in general to start by reading. She lives in Central Florida, so I dont know if there would be something specific to geographical location. Im hoping to get her a book for her birthday on beekeeping, so please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
What I would suggest is to buy her Dewey Caron's "Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" because it is a nice reference book, and then just borrow the beginner books from the library.

Caron's book is not a difficult read, and has everything a beginner needs and more.

You can buy it directly from Dewey and save a lttle money. He is retired from the University of Delaware, but can still be contacted at his UofD email address.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As a beginning beekeeper (not that I'm terribly experienced now), I found "Beekeeping for Dummies" (Howard Blackiston) and "The Backyard Beekeeper" (Kim Flottum) helpful. Also frequently use them as a reference.

Walt

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
As a beginning beekeeper (not that I'm terribly experienced now), I found "Beekeeping for Dummies" (Howard Blackiston) and "The Backyard Beekeeper" (Kim Flottum) helpful. Also frequently use them as a reference.

Walt

Funny. I bought the same two books and found them both to be really weak. Just not enough depth. I find myself really drawn back to the old books like the ABC and XYZ...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I too bought "The Backyard Beekeeper" (Kim Flottum), I thought it was pretty lousy, the writter seems to think honey production is a bad thing. I will say it has an intresting section on soaps, lotion, and the like.

Hive Management (Bonney), seems like a good one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Haven't thought about Hive Management in a while, but its good (though a bit old). Backyard Beekeeper is good and current. Flottum has been around forever. Organic Beekeeping is ok, but maybe only as a second or third book. Richard Taylors books are all good. I recommend them all. Go to Michael Bush's website. It is a book unto itself. ABC is a standard, but you might not want to wade through all those pages. My advice is to read all or most of the above. Start keeping bees, and then ask questions on here. We are here to help. Do not be an "armchair bee-haver" -- be a BeeKeeper! Beware of those on this forum who have no bees and hundreds of posts. Listen to the doers. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My mother is interested in getting into beekeeping and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a good book surrounding beekeeping. Something of a beginners guide or if there is a good book in general to start by reading. She lives in Central Florida, so I dont know if there would be something specific to geographical location. Im hoping to get her a book for her birthday on beekeeping, so please let me know your thoughts.

I thank your Mother would like to read this book "Beekeeing FOR DUMMIES"
I have the book and I like it very much. :lookout:

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
First Lessons in Beekeeping, Dadant publications.
A good small first book covering the basics of beekeeping.

Langstroth's The Hive and the Honeybee, Dadant publications.
A very good large indepth beekeeping book, one of my favorites.
This was my first book I read as I was starting beekeeping,
very in depth but very easy to read and understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts