Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beekeepers in Clarksville, TN city limits are being told they can't keep bees unless they are able to have their hives al least 200 feet from any property line.

We have started a petition to get the codes changed. The codes department are classifying honey bees as livestock and we are slated to speak before the board in a few weeks.

We would like to present them with this petition with as many signatures as possible.

Can you please sign the attached petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/cit...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think signatures of folks outside your district will be paid much attention. Your first move should be one on one education of the folks who will make the decision. An apiary and hive tour would be very helpful if they will go for that. When it come to bees and the general public, myth and misinformation rule, thanks to all the media hype about 'killer bees' and such. So, your first move should be that the council or whoever makes the decision can make an informed decision.

Very important: If they are intent on having a law regulating bee keeping, be proactive and involved in the drafting of the law. Don't just petition. Check this out before working with them: http://jeffcobees.org/wp-content/up...el-beekeeping-ordinance-version-3-26-2014.pdf

As you can see it is modeled on a number of sources. There are others worth looking at. Search 'model apiary law'.

Best of luck

·
Registered
638 Posts
I knew nothing about bees one year ago. Even up till I got my first nucs a month or so ago, I knew nothing. Like Sqrk said....200' means nothing to bees. I've since learned you can actually stand right next to hives and not get stung. They pay no attn to anything other than in and out. this all about more government controll over our lives. Politicians passing laws about subjects they know NOTHING about. I wish you luck in your fight. Get your state beekeeper government diviosion involved. Here in florida they passed state laws such that no city or county can override the right to keep honey bee hives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So if your lot is perfectly square and hives were placed smack in the middle, the dimensions of the lot would have to be greater than 400x400.... Or 3.67 acres. That would be enough to put me out of business.

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
You may be interested in this link that discusses the Tennessee Apiary Act of 1995, Tenn. Code Ann. § 44-15-101 et seq., and specifically at §124:
http://tnzoning.blogspot.com/2012/09/bee-hives.html

In effect, Tennessee local governments can regulate beekeeping, but they can only do so through zoning regulations. If the rules Clarksville is proposing are not zoning rules, they likely will not withstand a legal challenge.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
From the petition, it sounds like one beekeeper was cited for violating an existing zoning ordinance.
Without our knowing the details, its possible there is a neighbor problem.
I think the best thing to do with neighbor issues is to move the hives immediately, and attempt to rebuild the community relationship, based on a mutual solution.

This might (again might) be bees in a summer swimming pool. If you move the hives, and the (feral) bees are still all over the swimming pool, the neighbor might relent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to those that signed, right now they are educating as many on the zoning board as will listen.

The codes do not mention honeybees, it deals with livestock.

Reidflys, she has about 10 places she can move her hives, but thank you for the offer.

Radar Sidetrack, we are trying to get assistance from Mike Studer the state apiarist, and Jim Garrison our TBA RVP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most of these posts are a couple of years old....what ever happened?
I got the Village Of Carpentersville to change their laws.
They only said that bee's had to be 25' from the property line
And bee's are no longer classified as poisonous insects.
Art

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
> Most of these posts are a couple of years old....what ever happened?

:scratch:

All of the posts in this thread were made today (May 22, 2014). Perhaps you are looking at the member 'Join Date' instead of the 'post' date?

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
Too bad that the reply with quote does not include today's date stamp.
I thought this post is current as of today. I learn now to look at the posting
date to make any response.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts