Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERSON — Twenty-eight honeybee hives were stolen in rural Whatcom County by the owner of Guilmette’s Busy Bees, a local business that makes a popular wildflower honey.

Joseph Eugene “Skip” Guilmette, 31, won’t serve time in jail for the felony theft. Instead, he has to repay $14,450 to the rival farmer for hauling off seven pallets of hives, bees and honey with his forklift, Superior Court Judge Deborra Garrett ruled last week.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...nced-for-stealing-beehives-in-whatcom-county/

·
Registered
423 Posts
More complete story on Bellingham Herald website. Strange story, sad way for beekeepers to make news.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What a ditz... this is in my end of the world. I guess that it doesn't matter what business, hobby or whatever you are in, there are folks like this. Good reason to know your supplier when you get the wallet out.

These kind of headlines with sentencing outcomes don't really tell the story although they make the reader feel that "justice" has been served. What's really sad about this is that he will negotiate a $65/month payment back through the prosecutors office who will forward the money back to the guy that lost his equipment but if the Ditz quits paying altogether, nothing really happens. He's loses his right to vote, and when the injured party finally gets around and calls the county prosecutor office to let them know, they will file paperwork and send the perp to collections and payments stop.

...ask me how I know this. LOL

·
Registered
423 Posts
This story may have prompted the discussions: there has been more than one conversation this winter/spring on local bee forums about hive/bee theft. There seems to be lots of fear that drought, value, increasing public interest in bees, and more demand then supply for bees, will lead to increased hive theft. The fear seems especially directed at outyards and the loss of a hive or two here or there that will devastate those of us with only "hobby" numbers of colonies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts