Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fwd from Bee-L.

I will be interested in seeing the results.
Jack

Quote;
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:31:07 -0600
Subject: Who choses to be a beekeeper? - a research project

I have long wondered what draws a person to be a beekeeper. Are we unique
in some ways? Are there identifiable groups within the beekeeping
community? I have asked this of Bee-L before. Now Wendy Schweigert of
Bradley University and I are beginning a project to look for answers to
these questions. We would appreciate any from the Bee-L list and their
associates taking a few minutes to help us with this quest. Subjects from
novice to well-seasoned, from the US and other countries, are needed. Here
is the press release that will be showing up in BC and ABJ next month. The
survey is available at SurveyMonkey now. Thanks for your help.

Larry Krengel

----------------------------------------

I, along with Wendy Schweigert and a team of her students from Bradley, will
be conducting research about beekeepers and their characteristics. The
results of this research will be used to identify characteristics of those
who chose to become beekeepers, to compare various subgroups of beekeepers
with each other, and to compare other groups with beekeepers.

If you are 18 years or older and keep bees you are invited to be a part of
this research by completing short anonymous survey about beekeepers. We are
interested in new beekeeper as well as those who are experienced. Hobbyist,
sideliners and commercial beekeepers are all invited to participate. The
survey can be found at [URL for survey on surveymonkey.com]. The survey
will be available online until February 14, 2010.

If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact
Dr. Wendy Schweigert at [email protected]

To access the survey click on the following link, or cut and paste it into
your browser. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NSWHZ5

Larry Krengel

[email protected]

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

·
Banned
840 Posts
How does one get to know the results? Is there to be a posting or report of results of this information, the survey did not indicate this that I saw.

Big Bear

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not quite sure about some of those questions.
It asks some of the same questions more than once, just changes the form of the question.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
just changes the form of the question.
This is sometimes done to assure that the responder is being honest with their answers.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You may get more participation if you make the link to the survey easier to access.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
this survey seems to have underlying motives to me.....i was bothered by some of the questions.....and finally quit answering them......i was beginning to wonder if it was more important that i be a christian beekeeper(i am) than just a beek........and then politics...COME ON

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid I can't answer any of the questions. I'm merely"spreading the word"

Quote:
If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact
Dr. Wendy Schweigert at [email protected]
End quote

Maybe this will show as a clickable link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NSWHZ5

Otherwise cut and paste.

My thoughts:
If the only way to take the survey is on the internet,the results would only reflect a subset of all beeks,those with internet access.

Jack

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If the only way to take the survey is on the internet,the results would only reflect a subset of all beeks,those with internet access.

Jack
And even a smaller subset, those willing to take the time to fill out the survey. Would such a subset be of much use?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I felt it was more of a political survey then anything I gave my 2 cents on it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Data collected from anonymous, online surveys is next to worthless as far as drawing any conclusions. Dr. Schweigert specializes in "environmental psychology" and has spent her life in academia, moving straight from her PhD to a teaching position at Bradley.

When I was in grad school, while working full time as an engineer, it was painfully obvious which professors were "Ivory Tower" types (like Dr. Schweigert) and which had spent time working in the "real world". The Ivory Tower profs tended to be completely out of touch with the real world, focusing on esoteric, theoretical BS.

I expect Dr. Schweigert will publish the results in some obscure Journal, and that there will be lots of fancy words saying that beekeepers span the political/religious/environmental spectrum. But anyone who has peeked into Tailgater already knows that! :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Data collected from anonymous, online surveys is next to worthless as far as drawing any conclusions. Dr. Schweigert specializes in "environmental psychology" and has spent her life in academia, moving straight from her PhD to a teaching position at Bradley.

When I was in grad school, while working full time as an engineer, it was painfully obvious which professors were "Ivory Tower" types (like Dr. Schweigert) and which had spent time working in the "real world". The Ivory Tower profs tended to be completely out of touch with the real world, focusing on esoteric, theoretical BS.
For the most part - I would have to agree....and I AM in the "Ivory Tower" (although I did actually work for a living in-between my degrees, and I my field is a 'hard' science - meaning that it is based upon measurable metrics; like engineering). I looked over the questions as well - and I found them to be worded in a way that gave the impression as though they were trying to lead to a particular response or support a pre-conceived conclusion.

I don't know what that conclusion would be - it was just my perception of the questions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I filled out the survey Uncle Sam sent me and mailed it in. 2 weeks later I got a call from the Dept of Agriculture asking me if I could take a few minutes to give them info for their survey over the phone. When I said that I had already filled it out and sent it in the nice lady said thank you and that she would make a note that I had already sent my survey in. A week later I got another call asking the same thing. I said that I had already sent the survey in. Again the nice lady said that she would make a not of this and thanked me for filling out the survey. another week has gone by and I just got another call asking me to provide info for the survey over the phone. I told this lady that I had already sent in my survey and that she was the third person to call me about it. She then said that they must not have received it and that she would make a note that I have "refused to fill it out" and they would therefore not bother me again. Isn't that nice? They will create a negative file on me if one branch of the government, in this case the Post Office, fails in their job and makes me look bad. Next I guess some US official will come to my door and demand that I turn over all my hives to Uncle Sam for "refusing" to fill out this survey. :doh:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I did answer their questions for what its worth. I am generally very sensitive on philosophical/religious questions and was wondering what the connection might be as I find it totally irrelevant, but then the questioners might have an ulterior motive. Nonetheless, my neighbor who is looking after our bees at present reports that all four hives are flying in warmer temperatures. He is also checking with his ears for sounds, clears the bottom flight board of snow, installed the sticky boards (without the sticky stuff right now) and cleared some 50 to 70 dead bees from the bottom screens. However, he tells me that he is deathly afraid of the bees stinging him. I think he will make a great beekeeper some day......and that will be wonderful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts