Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When they moved out they told the landlord that there were some bees living in the garage!
After cutting this baby out I started pulling chunks of honeycomb out of the big blue tub full of comb for the owner and then the elderly neighbor too. When I turned over the last piece for the neighbor there were bees hiding on the back side so I went to brush them off - one was the queen alive and well!
If not for sharing the honey she's be dead in the combs waiting to be rendered. :thumbsup:
There are no queens available here yet so it was risky to do the work this early in the season. Those split wire frames worked slick as can be, I need more because I filled all four of them with brood comb and I have another cut out scheduled.
The bees came through a one inch hole in a garage wall and filled the wall for five feet. Then chewed through the styrofoam to put on some additional living quarters! Technically I suppose this was not a cut out then as the cutting was already done, just a cut off and cut up.
Three cut outs in a half mile radius (no where near me just for the record) I love beeks who let their hives swarm! $ka-ching$ :D

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Thanks for the interesting photo. What is all the yellow coloration around the comb? Is this from all the bees with pollen, and propolis walking around that area? I haven't seen many wild colonies lately,..lol.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That orange is all propolis sort of eaten into the styrofoam. Being April in NY the brood area was rather small, I didn't waste much and only got four frames of brood from the center of all that. Last fall with all that full of winter stores would have been a nice time to harvest but I bet the bee population would have been a bit overwhelming. But now I got a nice nuc all fed and settled in with the rest of the hives. The tub of comb and honey weighs in at 45 pounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whoa, that is amazing! If you ever need a hand Id love to tag along, help out and learn!
Great picture and thats so good you found the queen!!!

I went on a cut out at my parents house and helped out, what a mess that was! They were in the floor of a closet. Not much honey but the queen was found!!

If you dont mind me asking what do you charge? Or does it depend on the situation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts