Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beehive roof is covered with black shingles which gets pretty hot when exposed to full sun (unshaded area). I was wondering if it will not be too hot for the bees and if they bees will not have to use extra honey stores (energy) to fan the heat out instead going out foraging? That is why I am considering covering the roof with some sort of reflective material to lover the temp inside the hive. thanks

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Quick fix: Get a piece of XPS insulation foam and stick it up under the cover. It works for both cold and warm seasons. (You insulate your attic, right?)

But a roof with asphalt shingle will be very heavy, so consider replacing them with a layer of galvanized metal, instead. Make a temp roof out of a piece of plywood, haul the one with shingles off, and give it a face lift.

NAncy

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
If too hot shade the area with an umbrella or shade cloth. If you put something directly ontop of shingles water could backup or dam under shingles. Need to allow water to drain.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
I use aluminum flashing on my tops and even that gets pretty hot. This year I am doing what Nancy suggested and putting 1/2" foamboard under the tops. I imagine black asphalt shingles get scorching hot in the full sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts