Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Looks good. Doubt it will win any races but may place for originality.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Very cool! I've carved a lot of pinewood derby cars in my day, nut never thought of that. And, don't know I could have made it look as good as you have. Well done!

·
Registered
811 Posts
One more thing: hollow out a little hole under the car near the front axle and wax in some fishing weights to give it better speed -- and if you use bee's wax........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing: hollow out a little hole under the car near the front axle and wax in some fishing weights to give it better speed -- and if you use bee's wax........
The hives are hollow and full of weights. It’s at max weight of 5 oz.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Looks like I stand corrected. I have done the BSA Pinewood Derby cars in the past, but never won for speed. Got first place in the balsawood rockets that were rubber band propeller driven though.

My earlier comment was not meant to be disparaging by any means, rather just to point out that a beehive is not exactly aerodynamic in it's shape. Congratulations on the win.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I stand corrected. I have done the BSA Pinewood Derby cars in the past, but never won for speed. Got first place in the balsawood rockets that were rubber band propeller driven though.

My earlier comment was not meant to be disparaging by any means, rather just to point out that a beehive is not exactly aerodynamic in it's shape. Congratulations on the win.
Thanks. Aerodynamics doesn’t matter much in pinewood derby racing. Weight distribution and wheel/axle prep are key.

Reactions: G3farms

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yup max weight, only three wheels touching, polished axles and trued wheels that have plenty of graphite lube makes a good winner.

I like it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts