Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get some landlords willing to share a part of their land to put my beehives.

They are close to urban area AND corn & soybean fields.

My concern is to figure out if it will be dangerous to kill my colonies in case they are spraying pesticides on their fields? Like how concerned should I be about that and is this a big no no or is there something that can be done to avoid any loss I really don't know how beekeepers usually deal with that kind of stuff and need help from experienced beekeepers!

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,554 Posts
Welcome to Beesource shrekpower. Please edit your profile to include your location as much of beekeeping is local and so is the advice given. I live in an agricultural area where the crop rotation is wheat, soybeans, corn. Hundreds of acres within 1 mile of the hives. I have never noticed any problems with pesticide poisoning, but the chemicals sprayed on the corn as it is beginning to tassel is deadly to bees. Fortunately, there is nothing on corn at this time to entice the bees so any contact would be strictly incidental. Soybeans get glyphosate (Roundup) which is not supposed to harm bees, but apparently may cause cancer in humans, just like 10K other things we come into contact with on a daily basis. The State of California knows this to be true. But I digress. Bottom line, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey JWPalmer THANK YOU very much, your help is much appreciated! I live in the province of Quebec in Canada city of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. My zones are 4b - 5b according to this map : https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-quebec-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

According to your reply, I now feel safe enough to put my beehives over there! I'm not afraid at all for myself it was only to make sure it wouldn't kill my colonies if I start new beehives over there!

·
Registered
363 Posts
If its GMO Corn, then they won't even have to spray the tassels. I live in corn/soy country too and it has never been a problem. The commercial beekeepers in my area say that their healthiest apiaries are right next to soybean fields.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts