Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam researching hives for my backyard and would love honest advice! Iam leaning toward an all medium eight frame lang set up? My wife loves comb honey, so foundation less supers or a mix for straight comb insurance? I really like warre hives but have been discouraged as late. Would the foundation Lang set up run as organically as possible be a happy medium, I also like the English garden roof for the smart look is it dumb to mix and match like this? And just for fun why can't you ad supers to the bottom if langs or the tops of warred? Iam not trying to start an argument I know that people have had success with both just looking for a reliable safe hive for the bees thanks charlie

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
After my experience with Warres I think your choice of eight frame mediums is appropriate. Much more versatile, manageable and compatible with available supplies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes- I wish I had done a little more research before I started... I've only been beekeeping for 3 years now, and the 10 frame deeps with shallow supers are already getting tough for me to lift (I'm a 145lb woman with a weak back)! Save your back and go with the 8 frame mediums. If I were to do it all over again, I'd even look into a long Langstroth hive.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
8-frame is a good choice if you're concerned with the weight. My wife got a chance to lift some 10-frame and decided on 8-frame.

The one drawback is if you intend to start with nucs. It is possible to make nucs in mediums but they're not as common. We've got 8-frame deeps for our brood boxes and mediums for our honey supers, but may gradually migrate to all mediums over time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I too run 8 frame mediums for everything but just started this year. I find it compatible with available supplies, weight is manageable, and much more versatile to be able to use the same woordwork for everything without worrying about the compatibility issues with deeps, shallows, and mediums. The bees seem to do fine, but the hive can will be taller than an equivalent 10 frame deep/medium combo.

I plan on 3 mediums for brood, and 2+ for honey supers when I actually build up to that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts