Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for another location for a bee yard. No one is going to just let me put 20-30 hives up for free with open access.

So what do you pay for bee yard rent in a good location?

How many hives do you try to keep in one yard?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
traditionaly a 5 lb. jar of honey was called a rent jar. localy some large farms that let beekeepers use multiple yard sites would get a couple of 5 gallon buckets of honey. the landowner/farmer benefits from the bees pollination service for free.. the honey is a courtesy, the rent is the pollination service.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I allow a commercial keeper to put 100-200 hives on my property at no cost as it helps keep my agricultural zoning and I don't mind having him around from time to time. He gives me a package or queens if I need them, and is very respectful of the property. He also gives me some unique honeys, like orange and lavender.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have over the years ben the lessor and the lease. I have never charged anyone for hives to be on my land, As a beekeeper I like to see someone doing well with bees. Neither have I ever paid for a bee yard. OH, I keep the property clean, and give the land owner some honey, But nary a dollar has changed hands. And I don't recommend starting a policy of paying for out yards, It is a two way street your bees help others crops, and their land keeps the bees close to the crops.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have more yards available than I have bees. Put an ad on Craig List. Better yet take a drive in an area you'd like to put bees in, locate a few good spots and stop and ask. More people want bees on their property than you think

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Camero is right on the money. Don't go in offering money right out of the gate. You should have no trouble finding local yards. Yards out of your area or in another state may take you a little longer. Local yards is just a matter of getting out and talking to people. I have found yards from Craigslist also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts