Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered two of the Bee Weaver Queens for May delivery.
My plan is to do two splits into 5 frame boxes and to overwinter
in them. I am trying to see how close to the truth all the hype is.
Has anyone here had experience with them?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I ordered 2 mated BeeWeaver about 4 years ago and did splits with them. One didn't take for whatever reason, but the other one established a nice healthy colony. They certainly could live with the varroa mites, but she was "spicy" (not hot, but the hive was not fun to work without smoke). I made daughters of that queen and kept one daughter queen. Her and her granddaughters were also on the "spicy" side, so I got rid of that line last year because I am in a very suburban area and didn't want any issues with the neighbors. (the bees didn't chase you, just stuck to your veil like Velcro)

If you are on an acre or so, you will really enjoy them. Mine made a lot of honey.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I am trying to see how close to the truth all the hype is.
Has anyone here had experience with them?
No hype, their bees thrive without treatment, but some beeks still do treat them:scratch: Perhaps more importantly, as ruthiesbees pointed out they are not docile bees, so be ready for that. My experience has been there daughters when locally mated loose some of there “spice”:D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Tried them a few years ago built up strong , but this far north I still needed to treat them our winters are just to long. the queens I got had gentle bees.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have bought them. They are good queens but the ones I had were very “spicy” as had been said. However I am going to graft from the 2nd gen daughter of one this year. Good strong hive and her daughters carry the same traits. Still a bit spicy but livable now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a heads up about your plan. A nuc set up in May will be bigger than 5 frames by winter. You can just add more boxes to it. You could also harvest some resources from it during the summer but even with that you will want at least a second box on that hive if not a third. Anyways good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts