Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do use to supply water for your bees? I first tried a bucket with tennis balls in it. Then after seeing almost no bees in it, I used a large salad bowl with some pieces of wood floating in it. Still hardly any bees use it. However, they LOVE my hot tub. So much so that I had to drain it and let it sit empty for weeks. What is a good watering station and where should I locate it?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Some have good success with chicken water stations. The bees were attracted to the chemicals in your hot tub, especially if you use chlorine. Try putting a little in the feeder. It will attract them and might leave the hot tub alone. J

·
Registered
961 Posts
One thing I tried for my waterers is to fill with sugar syrup to get the bees to locate it. Once they have drunk it down, fill with slight saline water (1 tsp per gallon). They should find it after that. Just make sure the water station is not close to the hives.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
477 Posts
I use a bird bath with rocks in it and two black horse rubber bowls. Also use a pinch of salt. They love them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is the 1st year I've had an issue with water. It hasn't rained at my house in a month. They have found my pool and nothing I have done can change their minds. The only thing that interests them a little is a chicken waterer with some sugar water, far less than 1:1. When it is done I put pool water in it and they fly right over it to get to the pool.

Even worse, they were using the ladder as a drinking station. I wrapped towels around it laying into the water. Today I took the ladder off and let them just use the towels. Slowly I'm moving the towels away from where the ladder mounts.

The only good thing about the whole arrangement is they aren't at my neighbor's pool. We aren't friendly with them.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There's a drainage watercourse adjacent to my apiary which normally has at least a few inches of water in it at all times - but this year has been hot and dry - so I've rigged-up an emergency feeder from a large rubber dustbin lid which now sits on top of an old car tyre and which has been filled with perlite (expanded volcanic rock):

That picture was taken on a cool overcast day, so there are not many bees there drinking - but on a hot sunny day it gets very crowded. I add a spoonful of salt to every other gallon of water. The water reservoir is normally covered to prevent drowning - I left it open for the photograph. The perlite was snow-white when I first made this up - it's starting to look a bit grotty now.
LJ

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do use to supply water for your bees? I first tried a bucket with tennis balls in it. Then after seeing almost no bees in it, I used a large salad bowl with some pieces of wood floating in it. Still hardly any bees use it. However, they LOVE my hot tub. So much so that I had to drain it and let it sit empty for weeks. What is a good watering station and where should I locate it?
I found the best waterer absolutely by accident. My husband was getting ready to grill one night and had a piece of apple wood soaking in a 16 oz plastic cup (like you get at a concession stand). He uses it to smoke the chicken on the grill. The bees were drawn to it and looked like cattle around a feeder. It sits on our front step all the time now and they are constantly drinking from it. They are not aggressive at all. I fill the cup and they just move on to the floating piece of wood while I’m adding water.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I found the best waterer absolutely by accident. My husband was getting ready to grill one night and had a piece of apple wood soaking ...
Exactly.
See my pictures above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the top of a birdbath with rocks in it. Also a small clay plant base with rocks in it. I tried chicken waterers with gravel but they did nit really use it.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,833 Posts
My bee watering station is a leaky garden hose set on some concrete pavers. The bird bath with rocks in it that I have in the apiary works but needs constant refilling. The hose, I can just leave.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our birdbath sprang a leak which refused to stay fixed (even with Bondo), so we switched to a wide plant saucer with a few rocks and bits of wood in it. (We only have two hives.) The bees also like to cluster on our sprinkler heads after the sprinklers have run.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
FWIW - this is more typical of drinker traffic here on an average day:

BTW - anyone who disinfects a drinker and likes it to be uber-clean, bright and shiny - really ought to seek medical help. If left untreated, such an obsession with cleanliness could well develop into the same sort of condition suffered by Howard Hughes. Not a very pleasant prospect.

BTW(2) - I do like the idea of a leaky hosepipe - would save having to be constantly 'topping-up'.
LJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts