Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been reading alot in the archives about a mite virus. I believe my 2 hives have it.

I have observed small bees with shriveled wings ( are these just old?)and dead bees who were trying to emerge from their brood cell.

Is this in fact symptoms of a virus? What should I do?

Appreciate any help with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
Zeebee you must get rid of the Varroa mites. Vaporize a few times with OA and there is a chance to save the colonies. OA is a slow killer but there is no escape for the mites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Axtman,

I performed my first treatment today. Followed all of top bar hive guy's directions.

I was expecting a more violent reaction when the acid vaporized similar to FGMO. I also expected to see white vapor.

I did not see any of that. The OA did vaporize. THere was no residue in my pipe.
Well, did I do it right?

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

I finally had a few minutes to myself to read some more threads. I may have burned my OA instead of vaporizeing since I am using a torch.

I tried a little experiment. I filled up another pipe and slowly heated it at the elbow. I saw the vaporized OA come out the other end. So, a lesson learned.

Should a I reapply my OA to hives I treated today or wait a few days?

THANKS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
You can treat them as long as there is no frost. I personally would wait a few days and monitor the bottom board. If the treatment worked, after 3 days the mites starts falling and than wait another week before the next OA evaporation.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top