Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a beek who removes swarms from houses mention that he had to put an additional hose on the other end of his vaccum cleaner so that he could direct the bee venom spray away from the area where he was working. He was physically bothered by it. Comments please as to the effects others may have had from bee venom spray coming from angry bees caught in a vaccum machine while it is running. :scratch:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have two comments on this issue:
-1 It appears that his suction is too strong and the bees are angry and release their venom, or the bees get hurt in the suction process, and again, release their venom A two inch suction hose is recommended and no elbow in the vac where the bees can get hurt. When I am using a vac to remove bees, my vac is usually several feet removed from where I am working. I never mell bee venom. One time we were removing a real mean colony, probably over-africanized, and those bees kept hitting our veil and squirting bee venom in our face and eyes.
-2) I attended a demonstration in Vancouver Canada in 1998 where a Roumanian beekeeper was showing us how to harvest bee venom. He had to use a gas mask in this process in order not to suffer an allergic reaction from the venom in the air.
Janvanhamont

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have two comments on this issue:
-1 It appears that his suction is too strong and the bees are angry and release their venom, or the bees get hurt in the suction process, and again, release their venom A two inch suction hose is recommended and no elbow in the vac where the bees can get hurt. When I am using a vac to remove bees, my vac is usually several feet removed from where I am working. I never mell bee venom. One time we were removing a real mean colony, probably over-africanized, and those bees kept hitting our veil and squirting bee venom in our face and eyes.
-2) I attended a demonstration in Vancouver Canada in 1998 where a Roumanian beekeeper was showing us how to harvest bee venom. He had to use a gas mask in this process in order not to suffer an allergic reaction from the venom in the air.
Janvanhamont
Harvest bee venom?

What is this used for?

Is this something that bored beekeepers use to entertain themselves in the quiet winter months?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bee venom is used to render immune those of us who have become allergic. The work of Charles Mraz comes to mind. Not boredom. OMTCW

·
Registered
78 Posts
I attended a demonstration on bee venom collection in 1998 at the Vanvouver Apoimondia convention. The demonstrator who was selling the equipment was from Romenia and he said that he was getting $ 300 per gram for his bee venom. Now this is a lot of money at that time for somebody in Romenia. In mean time resaerch is going on in the use of bee venom. There is a 2 million dollar grant in Australia for a research project were they remove the allergic component of the bee venom and add a molecule which searches for cancer cells. Once the cancer cell is found the bee venom,less allergid component, attacks the cancer cell, opens it and kills it.
Now this is what you you can do in your idle winter months, read and stay up to date with the latest research instead of belittling useful information.
Janvanhamont

1 - 7 of 7 Posts