Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a question about bee vacuums....I just got a box from someone getting out of beekeeping, and it's easy to set up and use....for those of you who do this, how do you vac a swarm out in the woods where you can't set up your shop vac ..(no electric available).. has any of you ever used a gas powered vacuum?..(leaf blower in reverse)..it's a really large size opening for the leaf vac, but I suppose I could step it down easy enough...I've also built a screened hole in the side of the box to use as a control valve for a high vacuum to buffer it down so it won't kill everything...can someone comment on this please ?

thanks
dixie

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
964 Posts
inverter on the truck.

Be careful reducing the hose size smaller, it will increase the vacuum and could be a killer for the bees. Only enough suction is needed to just barely get the bees into the hose.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a generator, but it's too large to just tote around in the back of my pickup .....i'd like to hear about that battery powered you have....
as far as the shrink down on the 3 inch hose from my leaf blower, i did rig a spoiler in the side of the vac box, like a buffer....to make sure the vac would not be too strong......

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use a power inverter and my truck battery. Just be careful and not run your battery down. Also get an inverter that will pull what ever size vac you are using. the vac will show amps and the inverter will show watts. Volts X amps =watts... Ron

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's my understanding that vacuums are used mainly for cutouts from structures where a large population of bees need to be removed to you can see and cut out the brood and honey. Most structures would have electricity.

There is no reason to use a vacuum on a swarm. It's more trouble than it's worth, and can kill bees for no good reason.

Cutouts from downed trees can be loaded up and hauled out before removal, or use an inverter as stated above, but how often does that present itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's my understanding that vacuums are used mainly for cutouts from structures where a large population of bees need to be removed to you can see and cut out the brood and honey. Most structures would have electricity.

There is no reason to use a vacuum on a swarm. It's more trouble than it's worth, and can kill bees for no good reason.

Cutouts from downed trees can be loaded up and hauled out before removal, or use an inverter as stated above, but how often does that present itself.
I'm still new to this, but the two "cut outs" I did this year were both from downed trees. One pushed over with a dozer and another downed by a storm. Bee vac, generator, chain saw and misc. gear is all easy to throw in the truck. I can't imagine it would be easier to try and cut and take the log with you to do at home, than just open it up and get them right there. That said, there are always exceptions. A relatively light generator from any of the "box" stores should run in the $150 range and work great. Here is a photo from the first one this year, pretty hard to beat opening up like this. This is how I found it, no cutting even needed.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a 18 Volt Dewalt vaccum to relocate bees from a building in June. After removing all the comb, bees and brood of 2 established hives during the day, I went back at 9:00 PM that night and sucked up all the returning bees which were not home when we removed the hives originally. There were tons of them. I kept them in the vaccum that night and released them 150 miles away that next morning when I relocated the hives to our lake place. To my surprised all of those bees that were sucked up at night were still alive and doing very well in the moring. It amounted to a 3 or 4 pound package of bees. I will never leave home again to gather an established hive without a cordless vacuum. Worked very well for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts