Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been given permission to gather up this hive of bees that are building comb on the underside of the eave. I will gather them up with my bee vac tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the hive. You can see the snow white comb they have built between the bees.

http://

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking about this cutout and have a concern. This comb is snow white, brand new and it will be very pliable. I'm concerned that it will not be strong enough to stand up to much movement.

Any thoughts on how I can protect and work with this brand new comb?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you know how long the bees have been there? There might not be enough brood to worry about, and you can just put the bees in a hive and let them start again. If you can collect the comb, great, but probably not entirely necessary since this looks very new.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'd be careful about using the vac. I'd spray them with sugar water, brush them in a bucket and place them in a hive box and let them scent-fan the others in(making sure you have the queen in the box.) I usually collect the bulk of the bees first, then put the box nearby like on a step-ladder where the bees can find it. Cut the comb down as soon as you can and place it in the box. Then I heavily smoke the area where they were to drive them away as they eventually find the rest of the swarm in the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts