Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does anyone use for a suction hose for a beevac. I have been using a ribbed one from a real vacuum but Im concerned the ribbing may damage the bees verse a hose with a smooth inside.

Anyone have a opinion

E

·
0 Posts
i started using the smooth hose yesterday. others have voiced concerns about the tumbling bees do speeding down the hose. i did notice all sorts of bee parts, and bee splat where the hose went into the bucket. i found the smooth inside hose at our local hardware mercantile. it cost about 99-cents a foot for 1-1/2 inch hose.

E

·
0 Posts
I also read where shorter is better, so the new smooth hose is only 7-feet. i took the ribbed hose, and connected it to the other vacumn hose, so the motor vibration can be further fom the hive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use a smooth 1 1/4" smooth vinal hose I got at Home Depot.........first attempt was a disaster as suction was too much and no padding in coppection bucket and they just thumped on bottom killing them........second attempt was a great success.........can't wait to do it again as it was quite a thrill....

------------------
You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You kinda want to design some sort of air flow regulator.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Home Depot has several kind of spa plumbing hoses that are both corrogated and smooth inside.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I have used a bee-vac several times and it is great for removing feral hives and such but I too have had some problems with killing some of the bees. I will try the smooth
bore hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts