Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bee vac. in the past when I needed one I had, (still have) access to borrow one.
but its time for me to get one of my own.
So, Do I build one? I have looked at the plans here on bee source, does anyone else have any plans I could check out?
Or, do I just buy one, if so what supplier, what to look for ect.
Does anyone have a used one for sale cheap? (I'm a Rambler fan I live by cheap)
Please let me know,
Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
What kind have you been using before and were you satisfied with it?

There are basically two different types, box in a box and the robo design.

They both have pros and cons.

I made a robo design and really enjoy it. It is on the bulky side but "I" think it is easier on the bees.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey G3, can you describe or post a pic of the "robo" design?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really dont know the difference between the 2 types. I suspect the one I have been using is a "box in a box" design. It deposits the bees into a small screened box similar to a 3lb. package box.
I would also be interested in seeing pics of the "robo" design
Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I built mine around april 2010 and i used the beesource.com build plans! I decided not to mount the motor on top of the box. Instead i bought a universal coupling attachment from lowes, much easier and didnt want the box to get hot from the motor. I used Minwax Natural Pine Stain Finish, brass corner protectors, galvanized heavy duty handle, galvanized heavy duty box chest hinges etc...! Mine deposits the bees JUST FINE!! Here are some photos!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am very pleased with my home built Robo Vac. It is really kind to the bees. If you set the air control gate fairly low you can get near 100% alive. You vacuum right into a hive body with frames, so there is no transfer with loss of bees when you get home. You can easily put your brood from a cutout in empty frames in a second box on top and pull the screen to combine them and just set it in the bee yard as is for a few days. Very versatile-- swarms or cutouts. Thanks again Robo for a brilliant design.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love my Robo Vac and it has been successfully used several times this year.
I got a used shop vac off craigs list for $10. I had everything else I needed in the shed left over from other projects, figure with the strap I am in for maybe $20.

I have pictures posted on my blog.

I have also used a box in box vac and did not like it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Third type.

Vacuum power unit from Lowe's that fits on a 5 Gal bucket $20
5 gal bucket $3
Rheostat to put on an extension cord so you can control the speed of the flow $4

A working beevac that I have had great luck and success with for about $30, light weight, easy to carry/use and affordable.

C2

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've built a few and bought one. I bought the bucket vac and have been really satisfied with it but the first thing i thought when I got it was ' wow , i really could have built this ' heh. If you don't wanna go through the hassle of building one I would suggest the bucket vac . I think i got it from brushy mountain. I like it . it works great.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I went a little different route from most on the bee vac question. I already had a large battery/flashlight that included jumper cables for starting vehicles. This battery also had a couple plugs for 12 volt appliances. So I bought a 12 volt car vac and attached it to the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket. Then took a couple more paint buckets to collect the bees in, installed screen in the bottom and installed sleeves in the collector bucket lids to fit the vacuum hose into. When its time to vacuum, you just slip the collector bucket into the vacuum bucket & they seal well enough to collect bees. If I have too much suction I slip a stick between the two buckets so they can't seal as tightly (been too lazy to build a better system). This has worked well for me because I don't need extension cords and the vacuum can go anyplace. The two buckets with attached car vac are light enough that you can easily work on a ladder and I only use about 3 ft of vacuum hose with this setup. You do need about a 15 ft cord on the vac itself. One downside is that on a really large cutout you may run low on power before you get done, but that's only happened once on the twenty or so times I've used it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts