Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a pretty strong storm come through Mid-Missouri last night. I got a call from someone close who had major damage to a big oak close to his house. The top of the tree broke at the cavity where some bees had their hive. There was about 5 pretty big sections of comb on the ground that I could get to. The cavity still had about 10+ sections about the same size in it.

We got about 1+ 1/2" of rain last night that fell on the open hive. I started to rubber band the comb to the frames to get them under cover and try and save the brood. After working with them for a while I saw that all of the comb was waterlogged and very spoungy. There was no bees on the broods sections I had. They were only trying to recover the honey. I got about 12 frames in a box and moved them to my yard.

Thinking about it today I only give them a 10% chance of making it. I guess not every thing works out for the best.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't looked at them this morning. I was just at the yard early and I didn't see any activity. It was about 6am and the other hives nearby had barely gotten out to fly. I'll check them out tomorrow but there were only a couple of hundred bees in the box. I expect them to get robbed out and any that make it will probably merge with the other hives there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your bee yard is "close" (less than 2 miles), most of your adult bees will probably go back to their tree. You should maybe put the hive back at their tree if your neighbor will let you. Let the bees find their new box, then relocate them after dark to a place more than 2-5 miles away for 3 or 4 weeks. Find a friend who will host them temporarily. Then you could move them back to your yard after the month is up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts