Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built 5 new bee traps for this season and wondering what's the best place to put them? I put one in my backyard just in case my hive is looking to swarm maybe I can recapture.... There is a canyon along the back of my property covered with huge heritage oak trees and wild flowers with a creek running along side. I set the traps along different points about 1/2 mile area.... Is that good idea??? It's also about 60's here and bees are pretty active the whole month....

I baited the traps with lemon grass oil and old comb from my hive and each hive included 3 deep frames for transfer..... Good, bad, okay???

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I've caught them at all heights and even in a trap I had sitting on the ground. I mostly put them about 4-5' off the ground. For the simple reason of I don't want to climb up a ladder and haul down a box of bees. I don't have any problems of catching swarms. The key imo is the lgo and old comb. If you have that I don't think it matters where you put the trap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've caught them at all heights and even in a trap I had sitting on the ground. I mostly put them about 4-5' off the ground. For the simple reason of I don't want to climb up a ladder and haul down a box of bees. I don't have any problems of catching swarms. The key imo is the lgo and old comb. If you have that I don't think it matters where you put the trap.
Okay I added both of those and I tried to stay near water source figuring more plants and flowers to attract them.... This is my first shot so going to leave them alone for a week before I go back and check....

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Only thing is you might have them out to early. I don't know anything about the Dublin area but you're a new(er) beek you might ask an experienced keeper when your swarm season. Here I wont start catching them until late April(ish)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Apparently swarms are starting to happen in Cali in some areas .. I'm in the high desert above Palm Springs and I have scouts sniffing around the bait hives.

It's in the mid 70's here too ...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been in the 60's here and lost of activity so I am hoping for the best.... I will keep and eye on it and replace lemon grass oil every couple of weeks....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Around 15 ft high, facing south and some shade are preferred by the bees.

It's brood comb that makes the biggest difference. You will double the amount of swarms you catch by using brood comb.

The traps close to my hives catch less than the ones 40 yards and further.
Last year I put one brood frame and 4 empty foundationless with LGO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts