Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swarm of bees that was captured in a bucket with screen ventilation earlier today. Temperature is around 80F. Unfortunately, I took possession of them at dusk, and will need to leave for work before daybreak, so will not be able to get them into a hive until tomorrow evening. What do they need to survive in that environment? Is water sufficient, or is some other food source needed? I'll make sure that they are kept in the shade tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Timsch,

You do what you have to do, and that is the way it works. Actually the bees should be fine in the bucket till tomorrow evening. A lot of swarms hang on the branch (or other object that they swarm to) for up to several days, granted they are not confined.

In your situation I would see if you have a fellow beekeeper in the area that would be willing to hive them for you in your apiary tomorrow. If you know someone that would be willing to do that.

Just my thoughts.

Happy Home

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My only concern would be how full is the bucket? If it is more than half full of clustered bees, I would not wait until the end of another 80 degree day? Misting with water before you left would help, no lunch break? Happy Home has a good ideal! Can you leave them in air conditioning?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bucket is not overly full. I can have my wife mist them or give them a little syrup in the bottom of the bucket with a syringe if needed. They'll be in the shade all day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious, how did the bees in the bucket survive?

Happy Home
They seemed perfectly fine to me. I had my wife give them some water in the afternoon. I put them into a box in the evening and all seemed good.

I'm glad to report it, because I received an almost identical delivery again last night.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'm glad to report it, because I received an almost identical delivery again last night.
timsch:

Just now seeing this thread- glad everything worked out for you, and it sounds like whatever you are doing is working!

Good luck to you this season.

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts