Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got stung 3 times today. 2 no stinger, just redness, 3rd left the stinger, swelling, itching and pain. besides not getting stung, how can I avoid these reactions?

·
Registered
435 Posts
You will develop some immunity to the venom.But you probably won't ever be immune to the pain, it still hurts me. Getting stung is just part of keeping bees. :doh:

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I started, a good sting would really swell up and itch for about 24 hours. Now after three years, it still swells up but goes down in about an hour and the itching stops soon also. However, I still don't like getting stung, but I really like the hobby so you take the good and bad and decide if its worth it to you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yea. Spring is in the air. Got sting 3 times a week ago. Watching hive enterances.I'm hooked. Not a problen like it was last year. No Swelling, or itching.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Like mentioned above you will develop an immunity to the localized reaction. My first year the itching would drive me nuts, take an antihistamine tablet this will help relieve the symptoms.
Today when I take a sting it don’t seem to hurt as long and a few minutes later I can hardly tell where the sting took place, hang in it will get better.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
benadryl, antihistamine, works wonders for the itching. As others have stated you will build an immunity until then take the antihistamine,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get drowsy if I take antihistamines but I have found that the topical creams work just as well without the harsh side effects, I have also heard that after removing the stinger you can rub a dab of honey on the sting site, as honey has natural antibacterial properties and there is also evidence that honey speeds the healing of wounds.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i took 20 one day at the beginning of February. Somehow they decided not to fly but to CRAWL up my pants. I am used to being stung, so they hurt...yes, but i was able to finish what i was doing while not going INSANE luckily, and then walk throught the woods to get the rest off......You will get used to it, doesnt mean it doesnt hurt....i dont swell anymore, a little itching now and then, but thats all.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Monday I got about 20 stings out of the first hive I opened. My son just laughs at me and if you're doing this as a business you have to just shake it off and go on to the next one. I've been beekeeping since the late 50's and they still hurt, I just don't swell up. Nasty little buggers!! Go to Walgreens and get a topical cream called Wal-dryl to stop the itching. ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Even if they leave the stinger, try to scrape it off with a flat, sharp tool without mashing the venom gland - a difficult task when they have crawled up your pant legs.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A good start to keep around is Children's chewable Benadryl. It's what my Doctor told me to keep in with my gear. I'm not anaphylactic like my dad, but his Doc told him the same thing, chewable Benadryl, 2 - 3 tablets while enroute to the ER. I got hit buy a wasp 2 weeks ago, I was surprised who quickly it went away. I had heard spraying the sting with WD-40, but IDK, anyone else heard that one?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have found that leather gloves and a bee suit help me avoid bee sting reactions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A good start to keep around is Children's chewable Benadryl. It's what my Doctor told me to keep in with my gear. I'm not anaphylactic like my dad, but his Doc told him the same thing, chewable Benadryl, 2 - 3 tablets while enroute to the ER. I got hit buy a wasp 2 weeks ago, I was surprised who quickly it went away. I had heard spraying the sting with WD-40, but IDK, anyone else heard that one?
Interesting, my friend who is allergic to peanuts is suposed to take liquid benadryl along with the epi pen when she's havin a reaction. She said the Dr. told her the liquid gets into your system faster.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It does get better. By the end of last season I could record on my micro recorder information about the hive, get stung, complete my thought and not say any bad words. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Interesting, my friend who is allergic to peanuts is suposed to take liquid benadryl along with the epi pen when she's havin a reaction. She said the Dr. told her the liquid gets into your system faster.
I've have not heard much about liquids, I would imagine that it would get in to your system quick, possibly even quicker than the chewables, the biggest thing they were looking at is just dont get the adult version of pills. One advantage to the pills is you can put some in different cars and as well as several locations, instead of constantly carrying a bottle? Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts