Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some the sting stoppers in a few of the bee catalogs. do they really work?
JBees. :s

·
Registered
939 Posts
Couldn't really find anything that's related to this via Google search other than a "Stinging" effect from other ailments. I'd guess its nothing more than a small % of hydrocortisone ointment. My experience with it gives only very temporary relief from itching. Most of us have to endure the stings for our bodies to "Get Used To It" or go to the Doctor. Much like poision Ivy. First times the worst, re-exposure is milder every time until just a rash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cut an onion in half and put the cut side on the sting (after removing the stinger of course). This is an old family remedy. I have found it works well. You can call this an old wives if you want, but I have used on my grandkids who were to young to know what a wives tail is. When you put it on a screaming kid, they stop right away. I don't know why it works, but it works and it works quickly too. We have used it for yellow jacket and honey bee stings.

Bill Schaefer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the onion trick. Do you find a difference between red onion and yellow onions?;) Just kiding. I'll be carrying both.

Thank you all.
JBees:)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Vinegar will do the same thing and cheaper. It will work on all insect stings and bites to relieve pain and itching.

·
Registered
706 Posts
here are some folk lore treatment that may work and some known to work.
this after you remove the stinger.

Meat tenderizer make it in to paste place on sting works very well!

next is tabacco the chewing kind leaf form, bruis it up i.e chew it a bit put it on the site, works ok.

cow dung won't even go there:eek:

baking soda works ok do as meat tenderizer. I works but marginal.

so there are some balms

·
Registered
281 Posts
mud always seemed to help when i was a kid, haven't tried it in years though.
I have also heard, but not tried, that asprin mixed into a paste will work

·
Registered
298 Posts
toothpaste with baking soda is a good one for me. Keep a tube in your kit, also I have some antihistamine such as Benadryl gell handy. The gell is good for the kids/friends

Yes some of the commercial sting products do really work, and will work better than toothpaste - but generaly they are also just an anthistamie type product - so if benadryl is good enough for me - then why spend more?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Find some plantain growing wild, chew it up and slap it on the sting, with in seconds instant relief!! Pulls the stinger right out as well!!

I make a salve out of plantain, if anyone is interested in buying some!! It really works great!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts