Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping Bees and stings go together. Question is: are stings worse from type/varitie of bee to another? I have been trying a feral trap-out, these bees are small and a dark color and man do they pack a wallop! Last weekend after things calmed down and after I had the vail off, one found me and was very agressive - got me on the lower lip, the whoe side of my face sewlled up; yesterday one got me through the suit around my wrist and now my whole lower arm is swollen. If reactions like this keepup, I guess the bees are going to go. ]

Any ideas about different bees and how to control the swelling:s

·
Registered
519 Posts
Cordovans are less aggressive, but not sure about the sting of one being worse than another. I think it has to do with where you are stung. If I get stung on my arms, no problem. If I get stung around my eye, big problem!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Someone told me that I would have less of a reaction to bee stings if I would take an Antihistamine as soon as I got stung. I have been doing that and now I get very little or no reaction. However, maybe I am just getting immune to the venom.

Also, because I have allergies anyway, sometimes I just go ahead and take an antihistamine just before working my bees. When I take one in advance, I do not take another one if I get stung.

Maybe this will help you.

Mary

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have Russians/hybrids and MHI's and i swear the Russians pack a bit more punch than the MHI's. the pain is greater IMHO, but my reaction is always the same...there isn't one, or a whole lot of one. i did get hit on the shin and got a pretty good well outta it, but when she stung me, I couldn't immediatly remove the stinger so it sat there and loaded me with venom until i could se t the frame back in carefully. I still didn't swell a lot, but boy, it woke me up for sure. I fyou haven't been stung a lot, you will swell. My 9 yr old got hit on the ankle one day when i was pullin ghoney and it swelled like his ankle habeen broken. Next day, all gone.....

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I've never noticed much of a difference between my Italians and my Carniolan's but I do notice a LOT of difference in WHERE I get stung. Hands...no problem. Face / neck....different story. The welt is larger and the sting seems to stay longer. Got one under the armpit the other day and it didn't swell much but I seemed to feel it in my whole body. Almost like the venom traveled further.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'd agree that the location of the sting matters more than the type of honey bee. I keep MH, VSH, and Feral bees at the moment. I got stung in the face right above the eyebrow and in the back of the knee the other day (little bugger crawled right up my shorts). I thought the face would swell up, while the leg wouldn't budge. I got it the other way around, as the face was fine, but the leg swelled up a bit. It goes away after a day, but then starts itching.

·
Registered
869 Posts
+1 on the thought of it's where you get stung. I think the venom is venom. They say that the AHB are no more potent that the regulard HB, it's just that instead of getting hit by 1or 2, you're getting hit by so many. Look at alcohol, drink a little, hardly notice it, drink more really start to feel it, drink lots and it could kill ya.

C2

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I really swelled up when I started keeping bees. But, the last few stings have not swelled much. So I thought I was getting use to the stings. Well yesterday I took a sting to my eyebrow, ear, and chin. This morning my eye was swollen completly shut. So go figure.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
For me the swelling comes and goes.

About two years ago I really messed up and got stung 48 times in 4 hours. Stings 1-37 (ish) did nothing, but stings 38 and 45 caused my wrist and face to swell up. Why those? Who knows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My ferel bee stings hurt more than my Italian. The Italian's are just a pinch and then itchy for about 10 min. The ferel bees, well those are quite painfull and itch for about 20 minutes. No real swelling. Just a slight bump. But I scrape the stings so that may have something to do with how short the effects are.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you get stung on the face the skin is closer to the bone and does not diffuse into the surrounding tissues. This is why you have a bigger reaction on the face than the leg for example. On the leg the poison can diffuse into the muscle and cause less local reaction.

I just got stung or the first time this year on the hand. Right through the leather glove. I did not know you could get stung through the glove? I guess the bee suit really does not keep you from getting stung either except the veil would keep the bees too far away so they could not sting you. But I imagine they would sting right through the cloth of the suit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When we got our first swarm this year I got stung right through the bee suit. It was the second day and my 3rd try at getting the swarm, failed twice the first day. Four got me, two right through the suit.
I have not been stung since but have found out they have a memory for the rest of that day. I don't use protection just to go near them, or do something simple and not too disturbing, but when I have checked them out more closely or taken the top box down they get disturbed and buzzing. Even after showering for the rest of that day if I get near the hive one or two will follow me and buzz me in warning. I had one dive bomb my hair but sine i don't react they will just stay with me buzzing! :lookout:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies! At least I'am not alone. There is another post "bee stings" just after mine, a few Dr.s chimed in with some interesting info. Also; another BK told me that a sting this time of the year (hot & humid) seam to be worst than in the spring or fall? :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Winter bees seem to have a hotter sting than summer bees. It might be a bacterial buildup around the stinger due to lack of cleansing flights, and stings from winter bees may seem hotter simply because you haven't been getting stung as often. The first stings of the year seem to be a little more potent.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
My 30 year old son got stung 2x in his ankle swelled up like the elephant man and he limped for days. I got 7x in the ankle and just a little sore. Go figure.:cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Bee Sting Question

I, too, have had some sting reactions and until I go through the "therapy" I have just discovered a new product. I have it ready for whenever.

Check with your pharmacy for, "Benadryl ALLERGY LIQUI-GELS" - SKU 12547-17021. It's gotta be better than chewing capsules.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah... no telling what will happen. Took a hit on the temple - and nothing! Did have a little lump that traveled down past my ear and dissipated.
Then took one on the elbow and hand within a couple of weeks of each other and they got real puffy and itchy.
I figure I won't have to worry about arthritis at this rate!! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there a difference in the sting from a wasp or yellow jacket compared to a honeybee? I have never been stung by a honey be but have been plenty of times by wasps and yellow jackets and never had a reaction more than just a bump never more than the size of a dime at the site of the sting. Just wondering if honeybees venom was stronger or maybe the fact that the stinger stays it pumps in more venom?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is there a difference in the sting from a wasp or yellow jacket compared to a honeybee? QUOTE]

Yes there is, when they test you for a reaction it is against several different stinging insects, Here is my results

Honey Bee (11) IgE 2.74
White-Faced Hornet (12) IgE <0.35
Yellow Jacket (13) IgE <0.35
Paper Wasp (14) IgE <0.35
Yellow Hornet (15) IgE <0.35

Interpretation SEE BELOW
Specific Level of Allergen
IGE Class kU/L Specific IGE Antibody
----- --------- -------------------
<0.35 Absent/Undetectable
0.35-0.70 Low Level
0.71-3.50 Moderate Level