Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...I am a new beekeper and I need help.
I opened the hive and the bees stung me in the head.I wear a veil and I was really protected.I don't know how the bee stung me under the veil.
This happened to me 3 times.I don't know were is the problem and how the bee sting me in the head when I am wearing a veil.
Please help me cause this is annoying me too much.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Put a ball cap on before you veil, the bill keeps it from your face.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just take off the veil and be done with it. Just kidding. I find that the veil sometimes gets to close to my face or neck, and the bees seem to find that spot to try and get me. Check all the holes, and check anything that is tight or rubbing on skin, those are all weak spots.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wear a painter's suit that has a hood. the hood serves as an extra collar. Make sure you have the strings from your veil pulled tight. Check to see if it makes a gap when you bend over. I have seen bees line up on my string looking for an entrance. Got stung on the chin once when I bent over and there was a gap. Bees are opportunists - and **** sneaky.

NBL

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
all of the above are right... also use your smoker, puff some smoke at your face and neck a little. work your bees on a nice sunny day . bees really like having the sun out, if a cloud goes over the sun their mood can change instantly. for a new keeper it is hard to compare but you could have a mean hive. give them a couple of puffs of cool smoke, wait a minute then a couple more puffs, open the hive top away from you lay on a couple of light puffs, go slow and steady . do not make fast moves, do wear light colors, do not wear fragrances or be past due for a shower. these tips we have mostly all learned the hard way. the bees should remain calm. if you have them darting at your face back off and smoke your self a bit. it takes a bit to learn to force yourself to remain calm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
-was working on the hives checking in after about 2 weeks, after a beautiful if cold night here. 45 degrees at night - and starting checking way too early at 900am. things were going good until i opened the most recent nuc started hive- going great guns-filling out deep nicley. bees pretty agitated for getting out of bed too early on a glorious Sunday morning. one hung on my veil by chin and when i looked down i squished her-caught her between veil and jacket, and she nailed me right on chin through veil. ZING AND GOOD MORNING TO YOU!!!
! i closed up the hive and face and eyes swelled-turned red, hands and forearms swelled and i looked like Jay Leno. who need's botox when you got these creatures. threw myself into nearby cold lake and that helped also.
2 days later and after plenty of benydryl and Advil swelling has gone down but now have a triple chin of inflammatory fluid. i have never reacted like this to a sting and i sense it was deep into thin chin tissue. facial tissue usually contains higher density of blood vessels and nerves. hope it does not happen again.
I think the lesson is -wait a little longer in the day when the workers have left and look down with eyes not entire head!BM

·
Registered
214 Posts
Something I find helps is buttoning the top button on my collar and flipping the collar up. And whatever you do, don't take off the veil because a bee gets in, until you are well clear of the hives. I think everyone has had a bee sneak in under the veil, so they aren't perfect.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Worked a couple of hot hives before their attitude was adjusted. If the veil came too close to your skin they would sting you in the back of the neck and under the jaw line. Keep the collar turned up or lay a towel across the back of the neck but don't let it hang under the veil.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Depending on your veil they can sting through the veil. Once they have, venom will get on the veil so it is a target when you wear the veil again. Wash it and use the suggestions on how to keep the veil away from your skin.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a newbee it only took one lesson for me to realize my bee suit had two front zipper pulls, and you really want to be sure you do not pull up the bottom one when you put it on!

·
Registered
97 Posts
yep make sure every thing is tight as can bee, the girls will get in if thy can.
When I first started beekeeping, one got in my full bee suite and stated flying around my head in side the hood. Made a rookie mistake unzipped to get the bee out before I got stung,
A flood of bees came in as I unzipped and I got stung 35 times to the head . Talk about a face lift no wrinkles on my face for a week. When people asked me what happen I told the the wife beat the hell out of me. Check every time I suit up now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Oh yes, there's nothing like having about dozen of those girls inside the veil with you. However, once inside they seem to be more intent on get back out than stinging you. That was my first experience....I forgot the zippers on the hood. :no:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wear a full ultra breeze suit. I love the hood. I've had bees all over it trying to find a way in or a way to sting me through it. Haven't been stung yet. And it's pretty much holeless. No way a bee is getting in unless I forget a zipper. Plus it's cool. Way better than wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. Kind of spendy, but worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts