Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started keeping bees this spring. In the past months I have on occasion been stung any where from once or twice to over a dozen times with no reaction. Well last Sunday I got stung on my right hand are ring finger and my hand swelled so bad I could not get my college ring on it Monday. I am worried that I may becoming sensitive to bee stings. Is that possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
If you are getting stung on a regular basis and the reactions are getting worse instead of lessening, then I would be careful and meet with a good allergist ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Have you been stung on your finger before with no reaction?

I find stings on my fingers swell much worse than anywhere else. Most places I might get a bump that lasts a few hours, but my fingers can swell for days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
When I was at the certification courses this spring, they had an ER doctor discuss the physiology of the bee sting. He is also a beek and said that he looks forward to the annual sting that causes his limb to swell more than those that don't. He said the large amount of swelling is because the sting is initiating a systemic response which is good for the immune system and reduces his sensitivity. It is the small local responses that do nothing for improving sensitivity to the venom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,833 Posts
There is also, I believe, some natural variation in the venom. I get stung most days & after years of this I have no reaction, a few minutes after the sting cannot even see where it happened.

But occasionally I'll get one that really swells, no idea why. Sometimes there will be one that really hurts also, whereas most of them pass almost unnoticed now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
maudbid;1142077 I find stings on my fingers swell much worse than anywhere else. Most places I might get a bump that lasts a few hours said:
I find this to be true. I get stung a lot. My bees really don't like me lol. But even when stung on my head, I just get a mosquito bite type reaction. But stung on foot or hand and the whole hand or foot swells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,130 Posts
Like others have said when I get stung on the hands or fingers they swell like a balloon they look like surgical gloves inflated, if I get stung anywhere else it not much more swelling than a mosquito bite what you want to watch for are any red splotches or swelling away from the site or any wheezing or shortness of breath then chug some benydrill and get to an er
 

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
Joined
·
54,199 Posts
It's probably best to just not wear a ring, but if you do, I'd remove it immediately if you are stung anywhere on that hand. Swelling is normal. Amounts vary from day to day, person to person and sting to sting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I guess it is just the finger sting and not something I need to worry about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I wondered the same thing several years ago. The allergist mentioned the time to worry is when the swelling from a sting crosses over a major joint, i.e. a sting on your hand crosses your wrist and your forearm swells or a sting on the foot causes your leg to swell. Never hurts to call your pcp and ask.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top