I am a little sad today, trying to decide if I should keep my bees or not. I have been keeping bees off and on for a long time, and have been stung many times. average about 20 or so a year. I stay outdoors a lot and it is normal to get stung a few times by yellow jackets and wasps also. Never had more than a small local reaction until yesterday. I got stung once on the ear by a honey bee, and right away starting itching and breaking out in hives from my head to my ankles. After about 5 minutes of this I decided to take a benydril ( I know I spelled it wrong lol). I had trouble swallowing the pill, and that's when I decided to go the ER. To make a long story short they took 1 look at me and rushed me to the back and gave me several shots through a iv and with in 30 minutes I was feeling better. The ER doc recommends to give up beekeeping because of bad reaction, also forgot to mention I was having chest pains by the time I got to ER. I am just a small hobby beek, but I do enjoy it, but dang that was pretty bad. Cost me $350 yesterday, doc says to get a epipen if I don't quit, but I have been told it is expensive and lasts about a year. Does that sound right? Sorry for the long post, but looking for advice from other beekeepers that have had similar problems.