Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little sad today, trying to decide if I should keep my bees or not. I have been keeping bees off and on for a long time, and have been stung many times. average about 20 or so a year. I stay outdoors a lot and it is normal to get stung a few times by yellow jackets and wasps also. Never had more than a small local reaction until yesterday. I got stung once on the ear by a honey bee, and right away starting itching and breaking out in hives from my head to my ankles. After about 5 minutes of this I decided to take a benydril ( I know I spelled it wrong lol). I had trouble swallowing the pill, and that's when I decided to go the ER. To make a long story short they took 1 look at me and rushed me to the back and gave me several shots through a iv and with in 30 minutes I was feeling better. The ER doc recommends to give up beekeeping because of bad reaction, also forgot to mention I was having chest pains by the time I got to ER. I am just a small hobby beek, but I do enjoy it, but dang that was pretty bad. Cost me $350 yesterday, doc says to get a epipen if I don't quit, but I have been told it is expensive and lasts about a year. Does that sound right? Sorry for the long post, but looking for advice from other beekeepers that have had similar problems.:(

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you have insurance, an Epi-Pen will cost you less than your $350 ER visit (I think I paid $150) so I say get the pen and keep beekeeping. I have a pen for just in case. My stings swell pretty good if it's on a finger or eyelid. No swelling when I take one on the stomach or back. The Epi-Pen box does have an expiration date but how long it lasts depends on when it was made and how long it set on the pharmacy shelf.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear this. We had a local beek develop a severe allergy to bee stings last year after keeping bees for about 30 yrs. I enjoy all my hobbies and would hate to ever have to give one up so maybe an epipen is the answer but, as I'm sure the Dr. mentioned, an epipen only gives you extra time to get to the ER to have them deal with the reaction so it could still be a dangerous endeavor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It just occurred to me that it's irresponsible for us to say continue beekeeping if it might kill you! Listen to you Dr, not me. ;)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I think you should find an allergist who has successfully desensitized people to bee venom in the past and listen to him. A GP, in my experience, typically will just tell you to quit beekeeping...
I would tend to agree with Mr. Bush on this. First, Im not any type of Dr.. that being said, my post is pure opinion. Your health comes first. I have read and heard of dozens of cases that through a regimen, one could be relieved of this problem. may take a couple years. The easy answer is give it up. If you dont want to, there are other options, it all depends on what you are willing to do to continue your hobby. Whatever you decide, Good Luck. G

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
There is another problem with just quitting. Bees are everywhere in this world (luckily for us) and sooner or later you may get stung anyway, even if you quit beekeeping, so you may as well get desensitized and once you do that, you may as well keep the bees...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is another problem with just quitting. Bees are everywhere in this world (luckily for us) and sooner or later you may get stung anyway, even if you quit beekeeping, so you may as well get desensitized and once you do that, you may as well keep the bees...
That is a good point Mr. Bush, I stay outside a lot and seem to have the bad habit of always finding the yellow jackets or wasp nest before anyone else. I almost always find them the hard way to:rolleyes: Thanks to everyone for their advice, it would be hard to give up something I love as much as beekeeping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts