Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my local bee supply sells deep boxes at 9 5/8" and frames at 9 1/8"
and if the end tab of the frame is 1/2" that leaves a 1/2" space between boxes or if the frame end is 3/8" like iv seen some the space is 5/8" between boxes. so what happend to the "bee space"

I build my own boxes so its not a problem, just wondering.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a question like this the other day. Some manufacturers cut differently, meaning there may be a slight difference in the size and depth of the frame pertch or cut of the frame. If you were to mix boxes and frames from two or three different producers there could be problems. I only see equipment from three suppliers and they seam to fit well to each other with only minor differences and no excessive bee space. I'm sure they may start out pretty much the same but with a change in blades or sharpening bleades changes in the size of the cut can occur. Still you could buy from supplier "A" and also supplier "B" and if you mix the two the bee space could be excessive. Depending on Quality control you could buy a box from supplier "A" that was at the front of the start of production and then later again from supplier "A" another box that was towards the end of the life for those blades and notice a change in the box. I have gone to one manufacturing setup and they go through great pains to keep the tolerences within spec.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I used to work in a bee supply store and every once in a while someone would come in and rail about the boxes being too deep. One guy told me he took them home and ripped them down to the "correct" size. Mike is right, of course, they are cut a little deep to allow for shrinkage. If they are cut spot on and then shrink, the space is gone and this is much worse than too much space.

Too much space tends to get filled with burr comb, honey, and drone brood, which is mildly annoying. Too little space, and the bottoms of the frames get propolized to the top bars of the super below, which is a royal pain in the rump. Don't go there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts