Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a migratory cover give bees enough room to move around on top of the frames? Since inner covers always give more space, it seems that might be better? My boxes and most of my frames are from Kelly, if that makes a difference. I need to make a couple covers and can't decide on migratory or telescoping. My woodworking skills and equipment are a little limited. Not sure if I can make the usual inner cover with the grove and the thin plywood. Can I just use a solid piece of half inch plywood for an inner cover? Also I'm planning on top and bottom entrances. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
My woodworking skills and equipment are a little limited.

If you can cut 1/4", 5/16" x 3/4" strips and glue and nail them to the parameter of the plywood on the top and bottom than you have created an inner cover with beespace.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I assemble all my supers, so the frames are even with the tops of the supers (no bee space above the frames), unless I use a cover that has bee space, or another super. I make all my covers, similar to migratory covers, but with a bee space deep rim, as described by tuzserhu, but also with a tiny entrance on one end.

The above plans show the rim separate from the flat cover - this is just in order to show the detail, better. They are glued and fastened together, for use.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
How much space do you have from the top of your frames to the top of the box? If its like mine, I have around 3/16". I think that is a little tight, so if you are making migratory covers you can add a strip of wood all around the under side of the cover to get more space. You can buy 1/4" thick strips of wood in various widths at any good lumber yard that has a selection of mouldings, that way you don't have to cut them yourself if you choose not too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Perhaps similar to what others are saying, but what I have are shims on every hive under the migratory cover. My shims are made from 1" x 2" seasoned pine and allow me to feed patties or baggies of syrup or honey. It lends a bigger head space than a rim, and if they fill the space you with comb, you know you waited too long to inspect. I rarely let that happen.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
anything over the bee space will result in bees wasting thier resources by building burr comb. the bees dont do any work other than travel from one frame to another. why would ya want to deal with burr comb filled with honey every time ya take the cover off. we been using migratory covers for 50 yrs with no problems. as usual most bees will survive regardless of what the beekeeper does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts