Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this afternoon that there was a lower tone comeing from one of my hives. Upon inspection I found a half dozen bees sitting on top of the feeder with their abdomans pointing up and making a warbly sound with the wings.

I read on Micheal bush's site that this may be a sign that swarming may occur? I did just add a new brrood box with foundationless frames which they have taken to nicely in only four or five days and there are still a few frames below that which are not built out yet.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sometimes when you open up a hive the bees will do this "fanning behavior." I would not be unduly worried at this point if I were you. I think its their way of saying to their sisters... "the queen and the brood are all in here...come this way!" :)

You will also see this fanning behavior when you give a swarm a new hive to move into. In your case, since you have recently added a new brood box...it may just be a natural response. Best wishes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was really hoping they are not getting ready to swarm because I have exactly zero extra equip to split or catch a swarm. I'm going to remedy that problem shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts