Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the bee removal today from the old house went well (I think).. My wife wanted to go to Sam's club this evening, so I took advantage of the fact that I was on that side of town, and went on out to check and see how the progress was on the bees getting oriented into the new hive. When I got there, the beard on the front of the hive was very large, covering most of the front of the deep box, and hanging off about six to eight inches below the entrance. The queen excluder over the entrance could not even be seen. About two hats full fo bees were still congrigated on the wall at the original entrance.

How long before all teh bees make the transition to the new box? And what do I do when I go to pick them up, if the beard is as it was today at about 6:20pm?

[ September 04, 2006, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ]

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Ron

I think you just gotta go back and look at em tommorrow and see what you have
thanks to iddee's bee vac you have plenty of bees there, if worse comes to worse you just scoop as many as you can in the box and take em home

Dave

[edit] Ruben,
it was a cuttout, I was there

[ August 22, 2006, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ]

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to iddee this morning, and he had went by and placed a second brood box on the hive, and picked up his ladder. At that point he said that single bees were cleaning up the wall inside, and that there was only a small cluster outside on the wall. The box and bottom board was still covered, and they were working out of one side.

How many of the field bees would be expected to die off prior to cold weather? And how much will this colony decrease between now and winter? Will I be able to reduce the space they have down to one box, or will I have to leave both on?

[ August 23, 2006, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ]

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, the bees are now at home. Not a great deal of flying activity this morning. I was out at about 7:15, and no bees were flying. One or two on the porch, and one that lit was soon chased off the porch. I am guessing that this was possibly a robber. The few bees that were flying at 8:00, were not leaving the area. Are they trying to simply get adjusted to the new location? Also, there are a few bees that are dragging, and flying out with old dead larva, old dead bees, and small particles of stuff. I am assuming that they are just cleaning house on the four or so sheets of drawn comb that we gave them. Is the accurate? And, at what point do I need to be concerned about robber bees? I just saw the one that was chased away this morning. I have an entrance feeder on now, and the remaining entrance has been reduced greatly with the entrance on the opposite side from the feeder, as my coach had indicated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,
Have you been back in to be sure there is no sign of queen or cells? I am working a two shift period, and will not be able to go in and look at my set-up until Monday. I have a good deal of activity around the hive now. It is in a full sun location. They are using sugar syrup, and I have a robber screen in place. I hope to see some sign of the queen when I go in and look around tomarrow.

[ August 27, 2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ]

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
hmm
that's kinda hard to say
they're medium frames, I'd say enough to cover 2 frames, that's kindof a guess
I have the advantage of being able to boost em a bit by stealing some bees from another hive
I'm gonna steal a frame with some brood tommorrow evening and the new queen should be here tuesday
I'll introduce the queen in the nuc and let em get going then move em to the OB hive

Dave

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate the fact that they did not pull out a queen cell. I have the pictures saved to a disk, so if you PM me your e-mail address I will send them to you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went in to the hive to look around. I did not stay but just a few minutes, and only pulled out about three frames. The comb that we wired in with brood, and larva in it had all hatched. The cells were all being filled with honey, and on the third frame I pulled, I saw some fresh eggs. Looks really promising, now that I know there is a queen in the box. A good start on drawing foundation was evident as well. And all of the rubber bands that we used to secure the foundation have bee cut through, and they have fixed the comb to the frames.

Not the packaged bee start that I planned to make next spring, but this is equally as interesting, if not more so. I can truly say I worked to get these bees. (Thanks to Wally and Dave for all their help.)

[ August 28, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ]

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Well. Ron, I guess you messed up. Anybody on here can tell you you aren't supposed to get the queen with a cutout. :rolleyes: :D

I suppose you will just have to take her back to the house and release her. :eek:
Congrats on your first removal.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Congrats Ron,

I thought the description you kept giving of thinking you saw the queen sounded awefull promising
I'm not to worried about not getting a queen cell
it's awefull late in the year for that
I could have just given a frame out of another hive but I decided to order a queen instead
I'd like to look at the pics
send em to drobbins at drobbins dot net

Dave

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We did a removal that I reported the other day. all of our bees have absconded, they must not have liked their new digs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These bees seem to be taking a liking to the new home. They are doing a great deal of house keeping. There is a good deal of debris, old bees, remnants of old dead brood beginning to pile up outsid the hive. On inspection the other day, some new foundation was being pulled, much to my surprise.

I would like to see a good fall flow, but everyone that I have talked to in my area advises that it is not something to count on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On this bee removal. The bees were supplied with four frames of their own brood and comb wired into frames, the other six frames in the bottom box were 2 drawn comb frames, and 4 containing new foundation. A second deep box was added to give room for the number of bees, and it contained 8 new foundation frames, and two drawn comb frames. Both boxes are deep boxes. I was wondering if the experience on here could advise as to the probability of this colony swarming next spring?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What a mess!!! At least it looks like a mess to me. Just took a peak into the hive, and the bees are utilizing some of the drawn comb in the top deep box. However, one frame of drawn comb in the top box is completely chewed up. It is a true mess. Some of the foundation is being drawn, and is looking good. In the bottom box, the comb that was wired in from the take out, seems to have been added onto to the point that the frames are difficult to get out. I was wondering if they would even things up as they draw out the foundation, or if they would simply not draw out that side of the foundation?
Should this colony make it through the winter, which appears to be possible at this point, how would I be best go about getting the colony onto new equipment?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts