Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my video description:
Beehive removal from a wall of an abandoned house in Mt. Dora FL (Lake County, Florida). The owner wanted them removed so that major renovations to the house could occur when it was sold. These were very gentle bees.
The queen was caught about 2 hours into the job. She was in a cluster of bees at the top of the wall cavity which had a 4" overhang of stucco. This was not the wall cavity that had the hive but the adjacent one.
I was slowly and gently scooping the bees out of there and figured she was probably up there. On about the 4th scoop I caught a quick flash of her burnt-orange abdomen and realized she was trying to run back up to the cluster. So I opened my fingers and re-scooped with a larger scoop and got the queen cage ready. And there she was!
I misted her with water and rubber-banded her into a frame. I then scooped as many bees as possible out of the wall cavities and put them into the nuc box and then smoked them hard to drive out the bees. I then applied Bee Quick to drive them out.
I situated the 5 frame nuc box on my work table to approximate their old entrance. Within an hour they were marching into the box or were orienting to it. At dark I closed up the box entrance and took them to the beeyard, transferred them into their permanent 5 frame nuc and fed them sugar syrup.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Nice video. Glad you got the queen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts