Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

i did a cut out today in a space around bathroom window. There was no other access to the hive beside the room itself. I moved the comb and most of the bees into the box. I could not find the queen as I had quite an agony with bees hiding into space between polyurethane foam...Long story short, night fell and I have bees in room and box in it and do not know if I should shut the lights off?

Thanks! Any other tips are much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Zero experience, but bees will go to the light so I would shut it off to get them to go to and stay in the box. J

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, lights off. Is the box sealed? Are you trying to attract the stragglers in the box? As soon as sun comes in that window, if the box is not sealed, your going to have flying bees in that room/cavity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for advice...

I had lights off during the night and got the most of the bees in the box by morning. Then, with first rays of sun, I started vacuuming all of the flying ones. Placed them in card boxes and moved to apiary by midday. Cutouts in buildings are definitely a whole new ball game. :(

1.jpg 2.jpg

Hopefully, they recover as there are none treatment-free beekeepers in my area and these thriving "feral" bees are golden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts