Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was waiting for some glue up, and organizing the scraps all around I though of making this as a "raft". I hear bee may drown in the sirup. I have seen device with screens on top so they can walk down for a drink.
Would this raft help? It is about 3/16" thick. Or should it be covered with a screen? Do bee fly in the winter from the edge of the container or do they walk? Would the expected density of bee feeding cause the "raft" to sink and turn into a "Bee Titanic". Or should I just scrap the whole idea and use it as a kitchen trivet?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Think it would work, I had some that were similar but were crushed by accident. They worked ok, think there may be something better but I have no clue what it is.

I think there are some bees that just want an end to the slave to the hive, so they jump in the next best thing to a vat of wine, aka syrup. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Great to see what folks put together. Should work fine...could also use styfrofoam shipping peanuts as floats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
should work ok. I had floats in a miller style feeder made from 3/16' pine stripes. I had some drowning issues. I replaced these floats with ones made of 1/4' plywood sealed with urethane. I have not had any drowning issues in three years. Work's for me.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I will urethane them and see how much weight they support and if needed add thin slice of "peanuts" as it seems that the honey bee proboscis is pretty short!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've tried something very similar.

I don't think you will have any problems. I feel like they mostly walk in. They don't seem to make it sink. You should experience few to no bee deaths. If anything, I'd use less wood, and keep more space for more bees to access the syrup.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use thin sheets of packing foam with slits cut into it; also some folded window screen over the edges make a nice ladder for the bees. My experience with packing peanuts is that the bees eat them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts