Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my hives and found one that had a pupa at the entrance. Looked like a worker was trying to drag it back in but finally gave up. It's been raining hard but the temp is around 85 degrees. Any thoughts or insight?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Check their stores...they could be starving. If they are they will start to eat the brood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This hive is doing great and I just added another super because they were filling it so fast. Thats why I can't figure out why the pupa was at the entrance. It was one single pupa so maybe it just was a freak incident?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could be. I've found just one here and there. I think bees are like many animals in that they "know" when something is wrong with their young, and get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If it isn't cause they are starving then it's a good hygienic behavior. Like Monie suggested sometimes they know better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't know how deep you went into the hive before you added the super, but is it possible that you might have damaged a capped cell on a frame? Could have been inadvertent but would explain the behavior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts