Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much bee poop is normal? it seemed like there was alot of it today, in that i noticed it on my shirt and on my bag of equipment. are there any other red flags for nosema besides poop? thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mitch, that info is useful and i'll do a search as well. i'm thinking it might be dysentary (sp?, i'm hoping... i appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
222 Posts
sarah,
I had the same problem a month or so ago. Gave 'em some sugar syrup with fumagillin-B. Now they are fine. I don't know of anything else you can do.

APK

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If you are still needing to feed syrup sometime that (as well as high ash honeys like aster) will cause dysentery although it doesn't sound like you have a problem. If your bees are near your home you'll find this yellow wonder of nature on your car, your laundry, your pearly white pool edging etc. Although dysentery and nosema have similar symptoms, nosema usually results in bees unable to fly and walking around in front of the hive. (not to be confused with severe mite infestation which also has deformed wings) If that happens Fumagillin is indicated and will clear it up almost instantly. I'm with Michael with what you have described, do nothing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Watching the bees today when the sun just slightly warmed up things, the bees came out by the
hundreds....I think it was a brief pooping flight, one bee landed on my hand and pooped!
20 min. later, they where all in.
Konrad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Posted by Konrad:

"...one bee landed on my hand and pooped"

Now that's what I call "gotta GO" :eek:

Did you by chance listen closely enough to hear a little "ahhhh"? :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts