Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my Bee packages are arriving the 2nd weekend in April! When Do I need to put the wax on my frames? What do I need to stock up on aside from cain sugar and honey bee healthy?

If I put my wax on the frames now will the wax moths get to it before my bees arrive?

My smoker and bee jacket with veil will be ordered this week.... My hives are painted and together without wax foundation inside.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to have ever thing I might need on hand! I dont want to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find something at the last min!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about wax moths on foundation. Unless I'm mistaken it's the cocoons and pollen that they are attracted to as food for the larvae stage.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've never had wax moths bother new foundation. LOL I've left it in the open box sitting around for YEARS and even the ants didn't bother it.

Do you have a hive tool? If not, add that to your smoker order. Pick up a new clean spray bottle, too. They're handy for spraying the sides of the package with 1:1 sugar syrup. I have done this when the can of feed seems to be empty. Gives them something to eat right away before you even hive them.

Then, take a deep breath and....Enjoy!

:D

Rusty

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had wax moths bother new foundation. LOL I've left it in the open box sitting around for YEARS and even the ants didn't bother it.

Do you have a hive tool? If not, add that to your smoker order. Pick up a new clean spray bottle, too. They're handy for spraying the sides of the package with 1:1 sugar syrup. I have done this when the can of feed seems to be empty. Gives them something to eat right away before you even hive them.

Then, take a deep breath and....Enjoy!

:D

Rusty
Thanks Rusty. I am going to go ahead and put my wax foundation in then.. I forgot the spray bottle. I got a hive tool, but am gona order another incase I lose one.

·
Super Moderator
11,159 Posts
Decide on a fuel for that smoker, and get some. You don't necessarily have to buy fuel, and you certainly don't have to buy it from a bee supply company, but you do need something to make smoke.

I use free pine needles gathered from a neighbor's lawn, but animal bedding (wood shavings) or pellet stove pellets are possible inexpensive options.

Note, you probably don't need to smoke bees when doing a package installation. But practicing lighting a smoker and (keeping it going) is something useful you can do before your bees arrive. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's IF you lose a hive tool. you WILL lose it. heven if you jsut set it in the grass next to you, consider it lost when you've got bees all over you. i keep one or two near the hives, one in the bee box and a small one in a pocket. I am a pro at setting a cover on top of the hive tool. it's not "lost" per se, but if it isn;t at hands reach and visible, it might jsut as well be in in the DPRK. Soemthing you didn't mention is a frame grip. They are not NEEDED, but i find them handy and useful. Soemtimes I use them, sometimes i don't but i do like having them when the hive is full of bees and they aren't running from the smoke.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have not already, watching some youtube videos of how to install a package may help. Having a smoker near by is a good idea, but I prefer to lightly spray a new packag with 1:1 syrup and HBH. It seems to help calm them, also they will need some syrup to feed on while they are drawing comb. Have fun

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Ok... this is going to sound wierd so bear with me.
PRACTICE hiving your imaginary packaged bees. Actually go through the steps. The more times you practice, the more you will get comfortable when the time comes.
You have no idea how many times a new beekeeper gets the whole process done and the hive buttoned up, only to find the queen cage (with queen) sitting outside the hive.
Remember, this is supposed to be a fun hobby..... don't stress out about it.
Have fun.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I've never had wax moths go after foundation. I would get everything ready to go and enjoy the hiving!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Ok my Bee packages are arriving the 2nd weekend in April! When Do I need to put the wax on my frames?

I guess I assume what everyone else did as well, you must mean foundation in the frames... now would be good and probably is about right. If you go too early it can sag or fall out, but now would be good.

> What do I need to stock up on aside from cain sugar and honey bee healthy?

I'd skip the honey bee healthy, but it's good to have sugar around for syrup. It needs to be white sugar. It doesn't need to be cane sugar but that will work fine.

>If I put my wax on the frames now will the wax moths get to it before my bees arrive?

No.

>My smoker and bee jacket with veil will be ordered this week....

Good. Practice with the smoker. You shouldn't need it for a package, but you will need to know how to light it and keep it lit later. Practice putting on the jacket. Remember to zip everything all the way up. Often there is velcro at the spot where the zipper comes together. Practice remembering to push that down so there is no gap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't do what I did...here's a first time package installation nightmare for you:

I will start by mentioning I volunteered to make the two hour trip to pick up packages for several local beekeepers. I have an SUV, so when I picked them up, they all were in the vehicle with me. Keep in mind, I had NEVER even been near an actual beehive yet at that point. When I went to get into the car, the hum of 15 packages of bees in the back seat was a little intimidating to say the least :). There were some clingers on the outsides of the packages and they were flying all around...landing on the dash, on my hat, legs, etc....everywhere...but very, very calm! I even had one go up my pant leg and then come back out. I got home without one sting.

All that being said, I was so convinced that they were so calm, that I didn't bother putting my veil/jacket on when I installed my 2 packages. They were still very calm, but when you dump them into the hive, their are a lot that take flight around you...and they will land on you....and if not dressed correctly, they will find openings in arm sleeves, pant cuffs, etc. Let's just say I stuck it out and finished installing the packages...took a few stings in the process, and then dashed for the house. By the time I got there I had been stung 8-10 times and I was down to my boxers! LOL...my son was running beside me yelling "Dad! Dad! What the heck are you doing! What's wrong!"

I don't know if any neighbors saw me...but that is for sure one way you will rip your clothes off outside in broad daylight and not care who is watching!!! Don't forget the veil/jacket!!! :banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts