Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my bee packages today from Mann Lake in the bee bus container, and on two of them the syrup can seemed to be completely missing the bottom. The bees were completely drenched in syrup and sticking together. To make matters worse, its only about 40 degrees today. Is there anything I can do to help them out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bees had also eaten through the candy plug for one of the queens and there were a ton of bees in the queen cage so I have no idea if she's doing ok in there. They were in the bus for at least 3-4 days I think so hopefully they took her and she didn't get hurt in the shake out.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Best thing you could do is get them into hive equipment so they can clean themselves, and others, of the syrup.

If you didn't already take pictures I would have, or do of the syrup can and the mess. I'd then absolutely contact Mann Lake and let them know of the incident and what they can do to fix it, or at least let them know so if the hive isn't viable they can make it right. The candy plug shouldn't have been accessible yet and the can obviously shouldn't have exploded onto them either.

I had a friend get a package from them a few days ago and the package was damaged with bees flying EVERYWHERE! I can only image how the shipper felt, yet alone the deliver guy driving around with bees flying all over!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.