Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all of this will be as if u r looking at the hive entrance. I installed the bees in the center with the queen almost dead center give or take a frame, when i checked day 2 the queen wasnt released but they stayed more to the right when i checked day 4 queen released still right i placed a pollen paddy kinda center but more right. because i was feeding a quart and they seem to down it within a day and i couldnt make it the hive daily i started to look for a better way to feed so i found a quart and a half to replace the original quart at the entrance and got a huge pickle jar to use on top of the inner cover. so far it is doing great this friday i will be doing my first real inspection ( i installed on the 18th ). So to the real question when i went to refill the inner feeder ( they only took half so i didnt refill) i noticed that it looked like the hive moved almost directally under the feeder, is this because they have filled the other frames or because of the fedder location or all the above? I will do my best to take pics of the inspection on friday.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
The cluster tends to form in the wamest part of the box in my experience. A lot of times that is the side the sun shines the hottest on. But mostly it is in the center. Just be sure to start your inspection by pulling an outside frame and sliding frames away from the center into that opening before pulling them up and out to inspect. Once you find eggs and larvae, I would put it back together and get out. Also note how much stored nectar/sugarwater they have stored. I like to keep feeding until the colony has two frames of capped honey/stores. That way they are not going to starve if it rains for two weeks. Sounds like things are going well!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts