Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to host some bee meetings at my house and invite any local beekeepers to come. I was wondering what the legalities of this are. Does one nee special insurance, need to post warnings, have people sign a waiver, in case they get hurt on your property. I would hop anyone coming to a bee meeting would know they are running the risk on getting stung, but these days I am surprised sometimes.

If anyone knows an answer to this or a good source of info -- please let me know

I am in NY

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I am not a lawyer, nor an insurance agent, but I would think that if you have invited the members of the bee club, then they would be covered under your normal homeowners' insurance policy that covers you for any injury to any guest visting your household. I would ask your insurance agent about that.

This would be different if you were doing it for a fee.

Some clubs may carry club liability insurance covering sponsored club events.

Nancy

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I am not a lawyer, nor an insurance agent, but I would think that if you have invited the members of the bee club, then they would be covered under your normal homeowners' insurance policy that covers you for any injury to any guest visting your household. I would ask your insurance agent about that.
Nancy
asking your insurance agent can be dicey, many normal insurance companies don't cover you if you have bee hives on your property. When I moved to NY we made sure and tell them we had bees. One company hung up as soon as we told them, so depends on your company, but if you ask and they don't cover them, some will drop you, ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
asking your insurance agent can be dicey, many normal insurance companies don't cover you if you have bee hives on your property. When I moved to NY we made sure and tell them we had bees. One company hung up as soon as we told them, so depends on your company, but if you ask and they don't cover them, some will drop you, ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.
mike us local upstate NY crowd->we all should get together periodically for a "meeting"
-> food/beer discussion of the greatest hobby in history!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
mike us local upstate NY crowd->we all should get together periodically for a "meeting"
-> food/beer discussion of the greatest hobby in history!
sounds like a plan to me. Well actually we have an outdoor meeting with hive opening and lots of talk, just no beer, once a year at the apple fest in Lafayette, I'll let you know when it is this year. usually been around a 100 people or so depending on the weather and they guy that puts it on supplies the hamburgers etc.

here you go took a while to find it, a reporter did a story on it last year.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/life-...f81170223/cny-beekeepers-swarm-to-lafaye.html

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here in KY if you have agritourism events you are no liable for accidents.

·
Registered
247 Posts

This would be different if you were doing it for a fee.

Some clubs may carry club liability insurance covering sponsored club events.

Nancy
Good advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts