Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting set up and wondering about the bee max equipment verses using wood. I live in Northwest WI, so winters can be down right cold. I also looked though older posts, and did not find any info on this. I do plan on putting a straw wind break around my future hive.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Michele

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The only drawback would be durability and cost.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm 40 miles east of you and use only wood , it works for me. A wind break is a good idea. Our problem seems to come when the weather stays zero and below for such a long time the bees can't break the cluster and move to stores and they starve even with plenty stores just beyond reach. Bees are tough and can take the cold if they can get to food and you keep the hive dry but its always a guessing game here in the fridged north woods.

Good luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Most of the hives in my yard are wooden, however, I do have a few Bee Max hives and they work well in this area. Not only are they warmer in winter, but equally as important here, they are cooler in the summer. They've been in service for about 4 years and are holding up OK. You have to handle them a bit more gently than wood though.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Do you intend to wrap your hives with insulation during the winter? The styrofoam hives are already wrapped. (Saves time and labor.)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
shows that polystyrene BeeMax hives with plastic Pierco frames cause the quantity of propolis to decrease by 75% as compared to wooden hives with wooden frames. ( quoted from an earlier posting)
I have no experience with BeeMax hives but have used plasic frames. Initially there was less of a propolis issue but after a good number of years of use this is not the case anymore - and they are more difficult to clean too. I'm going back to all wood.
There is another point to consider. Any equipment sooner or later will come to the end of it's useful life. I use old frames and boxes as firewood but what do I do with plastic frames? or Polystyrene supers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts on the poly boxes. The old posts give lots to consider. I have thought about it some and wonder.........maybe wood would be better, as a "natural" product. Now if I could just get my husband to make me boxes, I would be all set.

Michele

1 - 8 of 8 Posts