Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used a bee lure pad to attact bee`s .. or bee traps how do they work and do they work ..Thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I use swarm traps ( bait hives with frames and comb ) every year now and catch 4-5 swarms without ever leaving my house. As for the lure, just a few drops of lemon grass oil on top of a frame as well as some old brood comb in the box.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I place a Nuc with drawn frames near each outyard and one in my back yard from mid-April through July. The attractant is a few drops of lemongrass oil on a cotton absorptive pad placed inside the Nuc cover. I usually get a swarm or two.

·
Registered
359 Posts
how do you keep wax moths from tearing up your drawn comb while waiting for a swarm?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use the commercial swarm lures sold by Dadant, very successful.

·
Registered
647 Posts
how do you keep wax moths from tearing up your drawn comb while waiting for a swarm?
I dont worry about moths. the swarms will clean any out just like they do in old bee trees. Last year I watch a new swarm moving into one of my traps. Bee were pulling on old pcs of moth silk dragging it out. it kinda looked like they were on little ropes. Lemon grass is my lure. Cheap and the bee's love the stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts