Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
For the same reason some people say to beat on a dish pan to cause a swarm to settle?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,987 Posts
If you are talking about foundationless, it helps the bees get to the top bars of the next box and discourages them drawing comb up from the bottom bars. If you are using foundation, you have a "ladder".

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Ruthiesbees; In this area years ago, the older beekeepers believed the burr comb between the boxes (the bee's ladder) was necessary for the bees to climb up into the supers. They would not remove it which caused problems with supers cemented to the box below. It was this type of ladder I thought you referred to.

Another custom was to never tell the number of colonies that was being overwintered. To do so would cause a winter die off.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ruthiesbees; In this area years ago, the older beekeepers believed the burr comb between the boxes (the bee's ladder) was necessary for the bees to climb up into the supers. They would not remove it which caused problems with supers cemented to the box below. It was this type of ladder I thought you referred to.

Another custom was to never tell the number of colonies that was being overwintered. To do so would cause a winter die off.
I believe in one of those customs;)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any reason to think that the bees won't use their wings and fly inside the box to get to the super? Maybe my setup is a little different because mine is a TBH that is not fully packed with comb. I have watched them fly around in the box, although they do quite a bit of crawling around on the walls too. I've built a super for my new TBH. The entrance for the bees is between the two boxes. So it's a top entrance for the brood chamber and a bottom entrance for the super. I will put all the brood comb in the bottom and only one bar of honey in the super, but if bees always like to have their honey "overhead", I would think they can figure out where to put it. Someone had asked me what I was going to use for a "bee ladder", hence the question.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Many of us old beekeepers in the north don't remove these bee ladder because why make the bees waste honey and time rebuilding them, and when its really cold like this winter, they can move from one box to the one above using the bridge comb, the bees tell me its really hard to fly at -20F.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts