Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jacket is in need of replacement. It was a partially ventilated jacket form Betterbee and it was fine, but I did have a problem with bees sneaking in where the veil zips. The jacket had a zipper up the middle and then the round veil had a zipper coming from each side that met in the middle near the base of the neck. A Velcro flap pulled down over where the zippers met but it never really had a great seal and then as you would move that flap would bulge out if you looked down. I tried putting the flap down in various ways but ultimately it never sealed well and twice recently I had a bee sneak in through the gap. So I want to find a jacket that has no gaps. I see some info on here but I wanted to specifically see if anybody had similar issues with jackets they like so I can confidently order one for myself in the near future that will work better than my current one. Thanks!

·
Registered
863 Posts
We use these
https://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/

Never have had a problem with bees getting in except when we forget to zip the hood closed. Love the breeze that comes through if the wind is blowing.

We have used Dadant suits also without a issue, but it was too hot for me, I needed more air flow.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,039 Posts
>Never have had a problem with bees getting in except when we forget to zip the hood closed.

Yes, I've been wearing an Ultra Breeze for more than a decade now and I have the same experience. Even when I forget to zip it up I usually don't get any bees inside... :) One time, though, I forgot to get the center one all the way to the top and it left a distinct gap that I didn't see. The bees did. I got stung on the throat about three times quickly in a row before I figured it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts