Specifically Florida, and Texas. And possibly La
or other Gulf states.

I hear some states do not allow bees in that are
"on comb"??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
call Florida dept of plant industry...apiary division. Bascially they allow bees (on comb, in hives ect) with inspection from your home state. If your state doesnt have inspector you can call and usually get permission and paperwork to get in and then get inspected there. There is fees that you pay and you must be inspected before you leave. Fees depend on number of colonies. Moving permit to move out of state is 50 per load. AFB is burned if found andyou are quaranteened for 30 days and reinspected.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
very nice people....some are more strict thanothers I suppose...I want them strict though..AFB is their main thing and should be! along with education and helping you.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Our inspector is very easy to deal with and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
very nice people....some are more strict thanothers I suppose...I want them strict though..AFB is their main thing and should be! along with education and helping you.
Not to get off on a tangent, but since varroa have killed way more hives over the last 20 years than AFB has over the last 50, probably, why is AFB their main thing and why is it so important for them to be looking for?

I'm sure you have it under control, or at levels below state averages, so is it the smaller and newer beekeepers that are the problem as far as AFB is concerned?

I'm just curious about the idea of AFB being the main focus of any inspection system/service, since varroa and nosema seem to be the main reason for 33% of all known colonies dying last winter according to the Apiary Inspectors of America?

I'll start another Thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts