Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've seen some pictures of people in Europe and I would say they would call it a bee house! Does anyone here in the states have such a thing? It looks like a real interesting idea to be able to access hives from inside a building and also seem to keep the bees from the weather as well! I was thinking that maybe having a pole building built for the bees to be kept during the off-season would be a good idea. Maybe at the top of the walls, all the way around keep it open so they can come and go as they please but also be protected from the weather!

So, who here has such a thing? I'd like to see some pics, too!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, Dennis Murell @ bee natural has a nice slideshow of them. Really a works of art. What I'd like to know, is what keep the houses from turning into a humid mess in the winter, they gotta keep them heated to a certain point so the air flows out around the bee boxes.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, Dennis Murell @ bee natural has a nice slideshow of them. Really a works of art. What I'd like to know, is what keep the houses from turning into a humid mess in the winter, they gotta keep them heated to a certain point so the air flows out around the bee boxes.
Got a link to the slideshow?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My daughter is intrigued by the European bee hause concept. My question is if you want to have significant honey harvest how does one super in a fixed space? Do you have to manage your honey crop frame by frame...that would be painful!

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I want to know what Ian would do when we get flim flam weather with temperature swings from 50 to negative numbers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are quite a lot of those bee houses still in use here in Germany, mostly they use a hive that is opened at the back, as opposed to the top. Search with google using the words "Hinterbehandlungsbeute" or "Bienenhaus" and you will get some photos etc. Mostly in the German language, but cut and paste in google translate for more info. There is a plan somewhere for a bee house, so if you like what you find with google i'll try and find it for you.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The last time I tried to post a link, it worked out like a fart in church. Goggle talking stick.me/bees, it'll take you to bee natural.com (he's in the process of switching over), the article is labeled bee house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts