Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone put there beehives on? I usually just use cinder blocks but wanted to take a poll to see if there was something more interesting out there. Look forward to the answers. Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Blocks, the big ones...10" I think.

I just use two and make sure they're dead level (foundationless).

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I put creosote poles into the ground about 2 feet deep, then build a square frame of treated lumber to hold 4 colonies. Each colony faces a different direction. The stands are about 18 inches off the ground which is convenient for me and reduces problems with turkeys and such eating bees.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Blocks and a frame of 2*8 or Larger treated. I inherited a bunch on pallets that I hate. One hive to a old shipping pallet.
David

·
Registered
635 Posts
I make stands of 2X4s that are 8' long. the have 6 legs sitting on cinderblocks. i like the working height of them and when only three hoives are on a stand, the spaces between the hives are fitted with frame holders. so, if need be, i could set all 10 frames from a hiven in the built in frame holders and swap boxes, or whatever. 5 hives will fit on each stand. Sorry, no pics of them, but i'll be documenting my beekeeping much more closely this year. My first season was a whole lot of shooting from the hip.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We have bee eating cane toads (Bufo Marinus) here, so our hives must be up on stands. My wooden stands are collapsible and consist of two rails to sit the hives on, and at each end are separate frames structures in the form of a rectangle with a piece of timber across the rectangle about 4 inches below the top part of the rectangle. This is where the rails sit and when the bottom of the rectangle piece is pulled back it locks the rails and when the hives are in position it is quite stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts