Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can find the original FDA complaint against Beehive Botanicals, Inc. 02-Mar-07 where the Feds list the bogus claims this company was making about the alleged health benefits of bee hive products.

http://tinyurl.com/yk74oeh

From the FDA letter's long listing of false statements:
"Royal jelly is known to aid in liver disease, pancreatitis, insomnia, stomach ulcers, kidney disease, bone fractures and skin disorders:" "uccessfully combats whooping cough, especially in children." "Benefits can also be obtained in cases of bronchitis, migraine. . . ." "Royal jelly is both an antibiotic and bactericide, effective in treating virus-infected patients - particularly with various types of flu and herpes virus." "[R]oyal jelly is effective in relieving symptoms of arthritis. . ." "[E]ffective in managing eczema, neurodermatitis and impetigo.. . ." "For example, one of its little-known benefits is its ability to help relieve emotional disorders such as anxiety, depression, shock and senility, as well as chronic insomnia."

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What?? And all this time I was robbing my hives of Royal Jelly to treat my emotional disorders!! :doh: :rolleyes: :lpf:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, it is best to not make any claims whatsoever about any product that is not considered a drug. Even if it's true, the FDA is pretty big on not advertising a product as having health benefits unless it has gone through the process.

I really question any health benefits of propolis, royal jelly and pollen, but if someone's willing to buy it from me, I won't complain.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That Sucks -

i do know that to sell ANYTHING other then Phamicitacal Drugs you have to have a huge disclamer along the lines of ... "these products have not been evaluated by he FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose,treat, cure, or pervent any disease"

this "usually" keeps the feds out

so ..... what most will do is sell the product and the pulic buys the product due to what they have learned about it

So if i read in a book that Porplis is good for my health ...... i can buy it knowing that
but
if you tell me its good for my health ... the FDA will pull you from the market

Sad .......

·
Registered
44 Posts
One word can make a big difference with the Feds. You can say 'it may do something' but you cannot say 'it will do something' without some real studies and testing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Grandpa Jim -- thats what i got out of the reading

also that was a writen warning - dated back in 2007

anyhow yeah - its up to the wording of how you sell products

just like HONEY -- you can say it MAY help with Allergies but you CANT say it WILL Help with them

its all a power trip and if the FDA feels like they are looking power they start picking on the little guys

Sell all of you Herbal and Health products with no health benifits - that way its up to the consumer to know what it MIGHT do

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
The FDA got in quite a bit of trouble a while ago after they went after folks who said there were health benefits to eating fresh fruits and veggies. (Not to mention the Feds getting hammered in court over the chiropractic profession.) Now, the Feds have to prove something is bad for you - they aren't supposed to be able to do anything just because they haven't given their seal of approval.

They shut these folks down for lying, basically.

So why don't they shut down the folks selling sugar pills? Those don't actually do anything...you just think they do.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am afraid that folks living in the USA don't realize how much they benefit from pure food and drug laws. I was living in South America back in the 80s and there you could go into a Pharmacia and buy all sorts of "remedies". Ladies in white lab coats would sell you just about any medicine that had ever been made. I used to go there to by pseudofed. At least, I think that's what it was, they called it "efedrina" which means ephedrine.

Anyway, this doctor told me to steer clear of those places. He described treating a baby that was almost dead. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it until the parents admitting giving it antibiotics. They had used a sulfa drug that hasn't been available in the US for decades, due to toxic side effects.

Basically, if you say your product cures a disease and there is no proof of it, that's fraud. Otherwise, I would sell the water out of my well as a cure for stupidity.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
So let me see if I have this right. The feds have the time to shut down a Northwoods(Hayward is remote) Wisconsin company for someone else advertising their products incorrectly, but they do not have time to investigate the Chinese funny honey coming in through Vietnam,India, Phillipine, Indonesia, etc???? What am I missing here?????

Roland

·
Registered
274 Posts
Come on guys, this place was selling the bee equivalent of snake oil. The FDA is there to protect people from charlatans like this.
BTW, and i speake as a nurse... Placebos can and do work. BUT, I would not want a placebo for the things this group claimed. Label it a homeopathic treatment that has not been fully tested and sell anything you like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts